Complete Episode Guide
- Episode #285 PUPPET FESTIVAL / PET ORPHANS
- Enjoy the colorful procession of hand puppets and marionettes at the Skirball Cultural Center’s annual Puppet Festival. Meet Rene and his traveling troupe of marionettes, see the large Triceratops puppet from the Natural History Museum, and marvel at samples from a collection that is housed at the International Puppetry Museum when the Skirball Cultural Center pulls a lot of strings to assemble the finest puppet festival that ever graced the stage. And meet with a playful menagerie of cats, dogs, puppies and kittens at Pet Orphans, in Van Nuys. Witness the dedication and determination that goes in to finding homes for these homeless pets and find out what you can do to help reduce the pet population explosion that forces so many wonderful animals to lead a life of misery.
- Episode #284 ABILITIES EXPO
- Glimpse some of the state of the art technologies at the annual Abilities Expo, a showcase of the latest products and services offered to persons with disabilities. Held at the Los Angeles Convention Center, the event features interviews with determined individuals who continue to cycle, climb mountains and quite literally, take their first steps to overcome adversity, offering inspirational lessons for all of us. Watch Amanda Boxtel, the “Bionic Woman” walk upright on a special robotic device, meet Angela Madsen, a paraplegic who is determined to navigate the Pacific Ocean on her own using nothing but the power of her arms, and enjoy the fast paced sport of Power Soccer, which is played in wheel chairs by a diverse group of youngsters who won’t allow their disability to limit their opportunities.
- Episode #283 KING KONG ANNIVERSARY / VISIONS OF OZ
- Celebrate one of Hollywood’s biggest stars as the Fox Theater in Pomona commemorates the 80th anniversary of “King Kong.” It’s been 80 years since the release of the original RKO classic and the Friends of the Pomona Fox celebrate with a Kong-sized event including special guests, models, a panel discussion and a special screening of the 1933 feature which set the standard for the contemporary Hollywood action/adventure genre. And celebrate another film classic as Heritage Square Museum unveils “Visions of Oz: A Collection of Art From Over the Rainbow” featuring artistic interpretations based on L Frank Baum’s “Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” The collection includes the works of more than 100 artists featuring pieces inspired by Baum’s many “Oz” books as well as the 1939 MGM musical classic.
- Episode #282 WORLD SWORD SWALLOWER'S DAY / SOIREES MYSTIQUE
- Enjoy the side show atmosphere as “Ripley’s Believe It Or Not” celebrates World Sword Swallower’s Day, featuring a group of talented individuals who entertain visitors with their daring feats. Held at their Hollywood “Odditorium” the gathering pays tribute to this old-fashioned spectacle by featuring a half dozen participants as well as a fire breather, and the performers dazzle the crowd with stomach-churning feats of derring do! And step back in time to the 19th century as Conjuror and Clairvoyant Victor Ian Elan invites visitors to experience “Soirees Mystique – An Evening of Enchantment.” The performance at Heritage Square Museum in Los Angeles features magic, mind reading and a séance, resulting in an authentic night of Victorian Entertainment!
- Episode #281 SPARTACUS and the Roman Legion / CUPID'S UNDIE RUN
- Relive the thrill of gladiators in deadly combat as “Spartacus and the Roman Legion” battles its way into the US for the very first time, bringing to America the thrill and excitement of these historic confrontations. Watch as an ambitious French production company stages its grand spectacle at the Equestrian Center of Los Angeles and meet the participants and show producers who have come all the way from Europe to share their passion for living history with an ambitious and monumental production which rivals any of the major traveling arena shows! And stick around for a brief encounter with the brave men and women who drop their drawers to sprint in their underwear! Cupid’s Undie Run features participants from cities across the country and the annual event comes to LA for the very first time to showcase a bevy of beautiful bodies who bare nearly all to benefit the Children’s Tumor Foundation.
- Episode #280 SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEAVOUR / FOREVER MARILYN / FAMOUS IDAHO POTATO TOUR
- The California Science Center in Exposition Park welcomes the Space Shuttle Endeavour back home to Southern California with all of the pomp and pageantry of a homecoming parade. Witness the classic American icon in its new home at the Samuel Oschin Pavilion and glimpse its immense engines, enjoy close up views of its well-worn tiles and stroll beneath the wings that glided it safely to earth throughout dozens of missions. Supplementing the display is a second exhibit “Endeavour: The California Story” which displays the shuttle’s actual tires, some kitchen and bathroom equipment and the actual command center used to monitor the engines during liftoff. And witness two other larger than life icons of Americana; travel with us to sunny Palm Springs, California to admire “Forever Marilyn”, the 26 foot tribute to Hollywood legend Marilyn Monroe posing in her famous billowing dress publicity photo. Then see the world’s largest potato, a giant 28 foot sculpture towed on a semi tractor trailer which is serving as an ambassador for the Idaho Potato Commission!
- Episode #279 LEVITATED MASS / STRUT YOUR MUTT
- See LA’s biggest new attraction as the LA County Museum unveils its latest acquisition “Levitated Mass”, Michael Heizer’s monumental slab of stone that is perched upon a narrow walkway. The sculpture famously weaved its way through the streets of LA from its long time resting place in the desert and its new perch is attracting crowds who come to stroll beneath the 350 ton behemoth. Don’t miss this tribute to artistic indulgence that is rocking the art world with its curious depiction of aesthetic decay. And celebrate as we conclude the dog days of summer with some of Man’s Best Friends. “Strut Your Mutt” attracts thousands of our furry, four-footed companions who proudly walk a mile in Pan Pacific Park to raise money for local animal charities. Organized by Best Friends Animal Society in Utah, the annual event offers dogs and their caretakers a brisk walk in the summer sun while helping to raise money to find homes for abandoned and unwanted pets.
- Episode #278 ICE AGE ENCOUNTERS / CALIFORNIA HONEY FESTIVAL
- Relive the days of the Pleistocene Era when the Natural History Museum unveils “Ice Age Encounters” at the George C. Page Museum. The twenty minute stage show features a life-sized depiction of “Smilodon Fatalis” popularly known as the Saber Toothed Cat which is featured along with its juvenile companion, “Nibbles.” A very talented and agile performance artist does most of the work and the cat’s facial and audible impressions are supplied by a remote unit which controls the cat’s mouth, eye and head movements. Don’t miss this chilling recreation of a bygone age when mammoths roamed the plains and saber toothed cats prowled the tar pit areas in search of easy prey. And see what’s buzzing in Fillmore, California when we take a train en route to Bennett’s Honey Farm to celebrate the first California Honey Festival. The festival features entertainment, games and trips to the farm where visitors tour the honey packing plant and learn interesting facts from local beekeepers. See keepers extracting honey from actual beehives and learn about the benefits of this natural sweetener as we try to take the sting out of honey production!
- Episode #277 CATALINA CASINO / SNUBA and SEA TREK
- Join Roger as he welcomes guest host Amanda Martin to experience Catalina Island like never before. First begin with a tour of the world renown Catalina Casino featuring a visit to the state of the art movie theater, the original dressing rooms, PK Wrigley’s own personal viewing room, and the fabulous ballroom, the world’s largest of its kind. Then slip beneath the pristine waters off of Casino Point when Amanda and O&A Producer/director Jim don wetsuits to enjoy the new sport of SNUBA, a combination of Scuba diving and snorkeling. And stick around for a real walk on the wild side when the Sea Trek Tour enables them to literally walk on the ocean floor wearing deep sea diver helmets. Don’t miss this truly breathtaking edition featuring new and innovative ways of enjoying Santa Catalina Island!
- Episode #276 CLEOPATRA: The Exhibition / REV'VED UP FOR KIDS CHARITY CAR SHOW
- Relive one of history’s most celebrated dynasties as “Cleopatra: The Exhibition” holds court at the California Science Center in Los Angeles. The traveling exhibit features artifacts literally brought up from the depths of the ocean from three Egyptian sites which were submerged underwater. Meet the archaeologist/diver who was instrumental in unearthing these precious artifacts and see some of the items that Cleopatra actually used herself as the undisputed Queen of the Nile once again casts here irresistible spell over southern California. And don’t miss some of the hottest vehicles ever as the Edelbrock Rev’ved Up For Kids” Charity Car Show muscles its way into Torrance, California. See an endless parade of hot wheels and cool cars on display, tour Vic’s Garage and its priceless cache of classic restored vehicles, watch a colorful pin striping demonstration and marvel at the Hotrodders of tomorrow Engine Challenge where high school students disassemble and then reassemble a complete car engine to see who has the best time!
- Episode #275 EARTH DAY AT SEA LAB / THE GREAT LOS ANGELES RIVER CLEAN UP
- Immerse yourself in the wonders of the Pacific at the SEA LAB, Redondo Beach's premiere educational facility dedicated to educating the public on the wonders of the ocean and the importance of its preservation and protection. Glimpse California spiny lobsters, get close up views of giant sea bass and visit the West Basin salt water desalination program that is helping to find alternative water solutions to supplement our dwindling resources. And watch as Roger helps to do his part for conservation when he participates in the Great Los Angeles River Clean up to help rid our precious waterway of trash while understanding the key role the river plays in the welfare of our city.
- Episode #274 LAIR AT THE LA ZOO / THE EDWARDIAN BALL
- Visit with L.A.'s newest attraction LAIR the new reptile habitat at the Los Angeles Zoo in Griffith Park. The Living Amphibians, Invertebrates, and Reptiles that make their home there include the green mamba, the Chinese giant salamanders, and false gharials which occupy the Crocodile Swamp. Don't miss this new state-of-the-art attraction which is certain to thrill generations of zoo visitors! And experience the merry macabre of poet and illustrator Edward Gorey whose humorously grim works are the inspiration for the Edwardian Ball. The annual gathering is held at LA's classic Belasco Theater and offers a fusion of Goth, Victorian Fashion and Steam Punk as well as an eclectic lineup of performance art highlighting Gorey's signature themes of impending doom and dreadful nonchalance.
- Episode #273 METROPOLIS II / TRAIN DAYS
- Marvel at the visionary genius of "Metropolis II", artist Chris Burden's monumental sculpture which pays tribute to one of Los Angeles' greatest obsessions. The ambitious and kinetic work on display at LACMA represents a sprawling city of the future where miniature cars zip by on endless tracks and trains and trolley cars circle about in a frenzied fashion. And kick back and watch the trains go by as model railroaders get to display their intricate layouts at Train Days, a popular institution at the San Bernardino County Museum in Redlands. The annual event features model train displays, train activities and showcases its own full sized railroad cars.
- Episode #272 RUBBER DUCKY FESTIVAL / CONSERVATION CAROUSEL
- Thrill at the exciting racing Rubber Duckies at Lake Castaic's annual fundraiser featuring those famous figures of bathtime fame! The annual event benefits the Samuel Dixon Health Centers and features over 4,000 rubber ducks as they jockey for positions on the crystal, cool waters of Castaic Lake. And take a spin on the Los Angeles Zoo's newest animal attraction the Conservation Carousel featuring over 60 exotic species. The hand crafted carousel features intricately carved figures of many of the zoo's residents as well as a few outside of their collection and the sights and sounds of this wonderful new attraction will bring out the child in everyone lucky enough to take a ridel
- Episode #271 CICLAVIA / OCCUPY LA
- Experience downtown Los Angeles as never before when miles of city streets are blocked off from vehicular traffic and opened for pedestrians and cyclists. The annual CicLAvia invites local residents to see the city in a new and dynamic way and includes interviews with Mayor Villaraigosa, former District Attorney Gil Garcetti, and renown environmentalist Ed Begley, Jr. And join the concerned citizens of Occupy LA as they lead a rally and march through the financial district of Los Angeles in solidarity with New York's Occupy Wall Street movement. Be there as we march through the busy streets of downtown, culminating with a rally outside of City Hall where protesters have set up encampments to denounce "business as usual" on Wall Street!
- Episode #270 LAKE ISABELLA & THE KERN RIVER VALLEY
- Join Roger as he ventures north of Los Angeles to visit one of southern Californa's best kept vacation secrets. The Kern River Valley is host to endless year round activities including white water rafting, fishing, boating and hiking whether on beautiful Lake Isabella or along the many miles of the mighty Kern River. Be there as we touch down on the phenomenon of the Turkey Vulture Migration, visit the mysterious Silver City Ghost Town, and sample the delicate spirits of the Kern River Brewing Company as the small town charm of this fascinating area works its magic on unwitting visitors.
- Episode #269 RANCHO CUCAMONGA GRAPE HARVEST FESTIVAL / PADDLE THE LA RIVER
- Be with Roger to welcome the annual harvest of grapes at one of southern California's longest running institutions, the Rancho Cucamonga Grape Harvest Festival! Sample some of the vintage spirits at the local wineries, enjoy the cool jazz ensembles and get really messy when Roger and his assistant Dianne participate in the popular grape stomping contest! And glimpse the LA River as never before when Roger embarks on a canoe and kayak trip down this most misunderstood of waterways to glimpse the unique waterfowl and to experience this wonderous urban refuge from a whole new perspective.
- Episode #268 FESTIVAL OF BALLOONS / RECYLING OPEN HOUSE
- Witness a breathtaking collection of unique artworks that are literally lighter than air as the Festival of Balloons attracts balloon artists from across Southern Californa to share their unique talent for creating art out of thin air. And learn interesting and informative facts about how to divide your trash when the Recycling Open House sheds light on the Dos and Don'ts of effective waste management.
- Episode #267 MONGOLIAN FESTIVAL & FAIR / CAIRO CARAVAN
- Experience true Culture Shock with a pair of segments that share international appeal. First enjoy the costumes and pageantry of the Mongolian Culture Festival and Fair featuring Mongolian Wrestling, authentic costume and dance and the haunting sounds of throat singing. And enjoy the exotic moves as the Cairo Caravan sets up its tent at the Queen Mary of Long Beach for a weekend of belly dancing featuring an eye-popping assortment of dance styles that are sure to turn heads!
- Episode #266 DINOSAUR HALL / L.A. TYPE-IN
- See L.A.'s biggest new attraction when the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County unveils its new Dinosaur Hall to unsuspecting visitors. Twenty complete fossilized skeletons welcome guests among them an Allosaurus, a Triceratops, a Stegosaurus and the world's first Tyrannosaurus growth series featuring three specimens including "Thomas the T-Rex" And see the ancient workhorses of a bygone era when the L.A.Type-In attracts typewriter enthusiasts to proudly display their early models like Remingtons and Underwoods, true dinosaurs of the office world today!
- Episode #265 TURN TURN TURN: Social Movements 1965-1975 / INTERNATIONAL PILLOW FIGHT DAY
- See a fascinating collection of photographs which paint a sobering picture of the protest movements of the 1960's in Southern California. The San Bernardino County Museum's illuminating "Turn Turn Turn" displays how the sit-ins and protest marches of the 60's shaped the word we live in and how Civil Disobedience continues to dictate policies today. And witness some civil disobedience of our own as International Pillow Fight Day unleashes its brand of good clean fun on the unsuspecting residents of Los Angeles!
- Episode #264 THE GREAT ELEPHANT SEALS OF CAMBRIA
- The Cambria adventure continues as Roger explores the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery to witness a massive assembly of these sea mammals. Find out why this area is such a magnet for these magnificent giants, visit the area's popular Coastal Discovery Center and learn of what can happen when these wayward beasts stake a claim on a public beach.
- Episode #263 80th ANNIVERSARY OF DRACULA & FRANKENSTEIN / MONSTERPALOOZA
- Monstrous entertainment as O&A reveals a pair of frightful segments certain to send a chill up your spine. First, celebrate the 80th anniversary of Universal Picture's classic horror films "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" with a special screening of the classic films as well as visits with Boris Karloff's daughter Sara, and Bela Lugosi Jr! Then immerse yourself in classic and contemporary horror chills at Monsterpalooza, a ghoulish gathering of werewolves, vampires, and zombies dedicated to the art of movie monsters. Visit with the men who thrilled millions playing such classic creatures as "Godzilla" and "The Creature from the Black Lagon" and visit the Monsterpalooza Museum, a Rogue's Gallery of Horrors that pays tribute to horror stars both past and present!
- Episode #262 CAMBRIA BY THE SEA / HEARST CASTLE
- Explore one of California's best kept secrets as Roger heads north to the Cambria, California. Visit a wine tasting shop, enjoy eclectic art at one of the fine art galleries and witness a spectacular sunset as the city of Cambria casts its irresistible spell upon visitors. And stick around to explore the grounds of Hearst Castle, the area's most popular attraction and find out why this stunning landmark has such an impact on California history and legend.
- Episode #261 THE DA VINCI EXHIBIT / CHAPLINFEST
- Discover the unique contributions of classic artist Leonardo da Vinci when the Hollywood and Highland Center unveils an exhibition showcasing his artworks and inventions. See the unique systems of springs, pulleys and flying machines that he so famously put on paper come to life in stunning reproductions of the original plans and learn about why the painter of "The Last Supper" and "The Mona Lisa" was the quintessential Renaissance Man. And celebrate the 75th anniversary of Charlie Chaplin's silent epic "Modern Times" as the Santa Clarita Historical Society celebrates with a collection of props, screenings of the feature, and a plaque dedication ceremony to commemorate the site where Chaplin filmed "Modern Times" most iconic scene.
- Episode #260 THE FILLMORE & WESTERN RAILWAY / ELEPHANTS OF ASIA
- All aboard when Roger journeys north to Fillmore to ride an actual steam train! The Fillmore and Western Railway's recently restored Baldwin steam locomotive makes its maiden ride with a host of volunteers and family members and "Out & About" is there to savor the sights and sounds of this historic event! And stay with us when the Los Angeles Zoo debuts its largest and most ambitious project yet. "The Elephants of Asia" is home to three Indian elephants including long-term resident "Billy" and the three explore their newest state-of-the-art habitat which includes a lake, a waterfall and plenty of activities to keep these pachyderms healthy and happy!
- Episode #259 THE SCIENCE OF GINGERBREAD / HOLIDAY LAMPLIGHT CELEBRATION / RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR
- Ring in the holidays with three special celebrations of the Season: Explore the Science of Gingerbread at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana to learn a little bit about the culinary magic that goes into these scrumptious and festive treats. Experience a Victorian Christmas as Heritage Square lights up the night with its Lamplight Celebration. And finally, celebrate the Holidays New York City-style as the Radio City Rockettes kick off the holidays with their annual Christmas Spectacular!
- Episode #258 ZIP LINE ECO TOUR / SNORKELING OFF LOVER'S COVE
- Join Roger as he welcomes co-host Amanda Martin to explore Santa Catalina Island in two new and exciting ways. First, watch as Amanda zips hundreds of feet above the canyons of Deascanso Beach as she embarks on the Zip Line Eco Tour, a spectacular way of experiencing the exhilaration of soaring above the green hills of Catalina. And stay with us as she takes the plunge off Avalon Harbor to snorkel the kelp forests of Lover's Cove, revealing an undersea world that is teeming with an abundance of sea life!
- Episode #257 WALKING WITH DINOSAURS: The Arena Spectacular / SPIDER PAVILION
- Experience the breathtaking spectacle that actually makes you feel you have entered another time and place when the Honda Center of Anaheim welcomes back the arena show "Walking With Dinosaurs." See realistic depictions of a T-Rex, dueling Velociraptors and life-sized Brachiosaurs walk the stage through the magic of state-of-the-art puppetry and robotics which make this show an epic tale that is 65 million years in the making! And face your worst fears as the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County unleashes the eight-legged residents of their popular Spider Pavilion, a collection of spiders from around the world which spin a web of fascination and intrigue for visitors!
- Episode #256 KICKING ACROSS AMERICA / RED BULL FLUGTAG
- Watch as the world famous Radio City Rockettes bring their high kicks to Southern California as they prepare for the coming holiday season! Four of the legendary dancers make an appearance at Santa Monica Pier to share their dance step secrets with visitors who attempt to match their famous moves in hopes of joining the legendary troupe's chorus line. And don't miss the good clean fun of Red Bull Flugtag as the popular energy drink company brings its freewheeling air show to Long Beach. Watch as 35 colorful teams launch their ill-fated crafts off a 30 foot ramp in hopes of aerial immortality!
- Episode #255 AMERICAN HEROES AIR SHOW 2010
- Meet real American Heroes whose bravery and courage are a inspiration to all in a spirited gathering at the Hansen Dam Recreational Complex. The American Heroes Air Show gathers together rescue and military personell to showcase their latest rescue craft and to display the skills they employ in their day to day duties. Witness a bomb diffusing robot, a collection of vintage rescue vehicles, a build-it-yourself helicopter and pay tribute to the fallen heroes of the Gulf War as we salute the brave men and women who lay down their lives to save others!
- Episode #254 PADDLEBOARD RACING / THE AGE OF MAMMALS
- Join Roger at the world famous Santa Monica Pier as the sport of Paddleboard Racing is reintroduced to these familiar shores. And don't miss the thrilling Dory boat race as area lifeguards compete to see who can maneuver these awkward but fast watercraft through the water in the fastest time! And witness an important era in Earth history unfold as the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County unveils its latest exhibit,"The Age of Mammals", a stunning collection of fossil specimens featuring an eye-opening glimpse into how mammals were not only able to outlive the dinosaurs, but thrive into the current modern age.
- Episode #253 PAINT OUT IN TOPANGA / MONSTER TOMATO & PEPPER SALE
- Discover the peaceful serenity which a group of talented painters known as Allied Artists enjoy on a regular basis; the simple joy of embellishing their canvases in an outdoor setting to soak up the sights, sounds and smells of nature as they experience the artistic tradition of Plein Air Painting. And stock your garden with a variety of exotic tomatoes and peppers at one of Southern California's largest garden plant sales as the Fullerton Arboretum reaps the bounty of the annual Monster Tomato and Pepper Sale.
- Episode #252 AFRICAN AMERICAN FESTIVAL
- Relish the music, art and dance of the talented artists and musicians at the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific's annual African American Festival. Enjoy traditional spiritual music, groove to the rhythms of traditional African drum beats and relish the fanciful visions of traditional African storytelling as a world class aquarium celebrates the cultures and contributions of African Americans!
- Epidoes #251 INTERNATIONAL BIRD RESCUE RESEARCH CENTER / BALLONA WETLANDS
- Travel with Roger on a rescue mission to capture, treat and release sick and injured pelicans at the International Bird Rescue Research Center in San Pedro. Watch as the birds are carefully caught and brought back to the center and witness their amazing recovery as they embark on their path to recovery. In light of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil disaster in the gulf, this segment underlines the importance of fostering education and understanding of the Brown Pelican and the importance of protecting and preserving their fragile ecosystems. Also included in this episode, near LAX airport, we visit the Balboa Wetlands, an ecological preserve, which is
quite literally an oasis: a teeming refuge that is home to both wildflowers and
waterfowl. Roger's interviews reveal the story.
- Episode #250 THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS / CAPITOL DRUGS' SAMPLE SATURDAY
- Celebrate "Out & About's" 250th episode with a visit with the Clowned Princes of the Court, the Harlem Globetrotters. Witness the playful antics that have made them basketball legends and learn of why this talented group has endured so long as they entertain a new generation of fans! And see how diet supplements and proper diet can add years to your life and help you look and feel younger as West Hollywood's Capitol Drugs hosts its annual "Sample Saturday." The afternoon activities feature complimentary massage therapy, acupuncture demonstrations and a bevy of beautiful bodies displaying their well-pumped physiques!
- Episode #249 REINDEER ROMP / DOWNTOWN ON ICE / DWP HOLIDAY LIGHT FESTIVAL
- Ring in the holidays with three quintesential seasonal events that are unique to Los Angeles! First, visit with some playful critters on loan from the North Pole as the LA Zoo celebrates the season with their annual Reindeer Romp. Then grab your skates and head for Pershing Square as Downtown on Ice brings the brisk and breathless sport of ice skating to cold weather-challenged Angelenos. And wrap it all up when the LADWP pulls the "On" switch to illuminate the night sky with its annual Holiday Light Festival, bathing Griffith Park in a twinkling veil of seasonal warmth!
- Episode #248 THE TOURNAMENT OF THE PHOENIX
- Journey back with us as we experience the heroic days when knights in shining armor battled for the attention of their lovely damsels when the Tournament of the Phoenix rises in Powa California. Exciting jousting matches, realistic foot combat battles, period music and costume and a recreation of an Elizabethan village make this segment a memorable and historic viewing experience!
- Episode #247 PUBLIC ART MULTICULTURAL FESTIVAL / ORANGE COUNTY WOODCARVING SHOW
- See wondrous works of art in a whole new light as the San Bernardino County Museum unveils its annual multicultural celebration devoted to public artworks. Examples of fine bronze sculpture, oil paintings, clay sculptures and a demonstration of grafitti art are certain to get your creative juices flowing! And witness an astounding assortment of fine crafts made from wood as the Orange County Woodcarving Show whittles its way into the public eye with stunning works made with the artistry and skill of dedicated craftsmen and women.
- Episode #246 RED BULL SOAPBOX RACE / REMEMBERING THE MIDWAY
- Experience the breathless excitement of the one of the sporting world's most colorful events as the Red Bull Soapbox Race tears its way through Los Angeles. Held on actual city streets, the popular gathering attracts a whimsical mix of the wacky and wild as contestants brave the curves and jumps of the obstacle course in hopes of crossing the finish line in one piece! And tour an historic icon of the Cold War as we set foot on the US Midway, an actual aircraft carrier turned museum which is open to the public in San Diego, California.
- Episode #245 BARBRA STREISAND AUCTION / RAMONA DAYS
- See personal items owned by superstar Barbra Streisand as the famed movie and recording star auctions off items from her personal life for charity. Glimpse costumes, artworks and furniture and find out how it was all put together as the staff of Julien's Auctions showcases Streisand's collection in a tasteful and elegant presentation. And revisit California history at the Rancho Camulos Museum in Piru when author Helen Hunt Jackson's groundbreaking novel "Ramona" comes to life with music, dance, historic re-enactments and a screening of the classic Mary Pickford silent film.
- Episode #244 ELEPHANT ODYSSEY / PIRATE DAYS
- Visit the San Diego Zoo's latest new habitat devoted to pachyderms. Elephant Odyssey is home to seven of these magnificent beasts, as well as Capybaras, California Condors and a number of other species and its state-of-the-art facility includes an animal care center, a reproduction of a tar pit and a giant lake for the elephants to enjoy in the summer sun. And shiver me timbers when a bloodthirsty band of costumed cutthroats plunder the shores of Ventura Harbor Village as Pirate Days sails into the popular seaside attraction!
- Episode #243 NUTS FOR MUTTS / TREASURES FROM NEVERLAND
- Visit with an adorable bunch of mixed breed mutts at the annual Nuts for Mutts Celebration at Pierce College. Organized and hosted by Santa Clarita-based New Leash on Life, the afternoon gathering attracts mutt lovers and their dedicated pooches for a day of appreciation featuring contests, pet products and adoption services resulting in a dog-gone good time! And peek inside the private world of the late King of Pop when we glimpse treasures from Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch featuring music memorabilia, exotic paintings, furniture and pop culture collectibles, revealing an intimate portrait of one of music's most talented performers.
- Episode #242 TRANS-CATALINA TRAIL / SNOW DAY AT THE ZOO
- Hike with us as Roger and O&A guest host Konrad Monti embark on the newly opened Trans-Catalina Trail, a 37-mile hiking path that takes daring visitors through some of the most rugged and beautiful terrain of Santa Catalina, southern California's island paradise. Glimpse bison in the wild, visit with "Tachi" the island's fox mascot and find out why this island is one of southern California's best kept secrets! And see the reactions from animals at the Los Angeles Zoo when tons of snow descend upon their turf creating an impromptu winter wonderland!
- Episode #241 GO GREEN EXPO / GADGETS & GIZMOS
- Find out what concerned citizens are doing to make our world a neater, cleaner place to live in when we review environmentally safe products and services at the Go Green Expo, one of the nation's leading eco-friendly expositions. And relive old products and inventions of the past when the San Bernardino County Museum dusts off their newest exhibit "Gadgets & Gizmos", a showcase of groundbreaking inventions from the past century and the evolution of their design.
- Episode #240 ANTIQUE TOY ROADSHOW / LOS ANGELES ART SHOW
- Relive your fondest childhood memories when the Toy Roadshow swings into Los Angeles bringing with it a treasure trove of old toys. Included are vintage GI Joes and Barbies, Chatty Cathy Dolls, Shirley Temple Dolls and a nostalgic collection of toy trucks and Hot Wheels. And the Los Angeles Art Show unveils a gallery of museum-quality pieces which grace the halls of the LA Convention Center, transforming it into a priceless cache of artistic excellence.
- Episode #239 PROFIGHT SUPPLEMENTS LA FITNESS EXPO
- Out & About returns to the popular Fit Expo in its second year at the LA Convention Center. See some of the city's healthiest individuals as they show off their finely toned and fit bodies! Exciting push up and pull up contests, thrilling Jui-Jitsu demonstrations, a visit with Super Nutrition Dude and a toe-tapping demonstration of Street Dancing makes this episode appointment viewing for muscle-obsessed fans!
- Episode #238 NATIONAL ALPACA FARM DAYS / RUBIK'S CUBE CHALLENGE
- Join Roger and co-host Konrad Monti when they visit one of the largest Alpaca farms in the state. Twisted Lock Alpacas features over one hundred of these camel-like creatures and you will be head over hooves in love when you see how adorable they can be. And don't miss the informative shearing demonstration when one unwitting young Alpaca gets to show off his new "do"! And stick around to witness the largest assembly of Rubik's Cube fans as they converge at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana to beat the Guinness Book of World Records for cube solving!
- Episode #237 MULTICULTURAL DANCE FESTIVAL
- Enjoy a variety of dance styles from across the globe as the San Bernardino County Museum welcomes dancers from the Riverside, Redlands and San Bernardino area representing numerous cultures from around the world. The variety of dance styles includes Hula Dancing, Aztec Tribal Dancing, Belly Dancing, Ballet Folklorico and Hip Hop, culminating in a colorful and entertaining display of multicultural diversity.
- Episode #236 SUNLAND-TUJUNGA WATERMELON FESTIVAL / SCHOOL OF ROBOTS
- Enjoy the taste tempting treats that await at one of the summer's sweetest events, the Sunland-Tujunga Watermelon Festival. Located just spitting distance from Tujunga in Sunland Park, the annual event attracts a melon patch full of watermelon fans who relish the sweet, watery goodness of one of America's favorite summertime treats! And see what the brainy students of the California Academy of Mathematics and Science do on their summer vacation when they demonstrate their science projects to the public. Held at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro, the afternoon event showcases the designs of a group of talented students who hope that their creations will open a brave new world of robotics to the general public.
- Episode #235 LATIN AMERICAN ART / GLOW
- Witness two contrasting art exhibits which encompass the essence of Southern California. First enjoy LACMA's new gallery dedicated to the art of Latin America beginning with samples of Pre-Columbian art, continuing through the Colonial period and culminating with modern and contemporary works including paintings by Diego Rivera. Then experience the dazzling light and color wizardry of GLOW, an avant garde art festival at the Santa Monica Pier which showcases the pulsating and glowing works of various artists which are displayed after the sun goes down,
- Episode #234 CRUISIN' BACK TO THE FIFTIES / SOUTHWEST REGIONAL YO-YO CONTEST
- Relive the nostalgic days of tail fins and rumble seats at the annual Culver City Car Show featuring the world famous George Barris Kustom collection including famous TV cars from "The Munsters", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and Herbie the Love Bug. And witness the no strings attached stunts at the Southwest Regional Yo-Yo Contest where contestants show off their dazzling yo-yo talents while hoping to advance to the finals.
- Episode #233 SANTA CATALINA ISLAND FLYING FISH FESTIVAL
- Set sail for this oceangoing adventure when the island of Catalina pays tribute to some of Southern California's most frequent flyers! The Catalina Flying Fish Festival was a popular attraction in the forties and fifties and we are happy to report that the fish are back and more airborne than ever before! A tour of the Catalina Island Museum, a visit with "Gill" the flying fish mascot and a voyage on the refurbished flying fish boat the "Blanche W" make for an entertaining "fish out of water" tale!
- Episode #232 A FEAST FOR THE EYES / GRILLED CHEESE INVITATIONAL
- Feast on two culinary subjects in one delectible episode. First witness the pageantry of fine dining when "A Feast For the Eyes" sets the table for turn of the century fine dining. The new exhibit at the San Bernardino County Museum showcases table manners and etiquette in an interesting and colorful fashion including a collection of cookbooks, flatware and table settings. And prepare for the gastronomical assault as the First Sixth Annual Grilled Cheese Invitational cooks up a delicious assortment of savory cheese concoctions underlining America's love affair with this childhood institution!
- Episode #231 BUBBLEFEST XII / THE GARDEN OF FLOWING FRAGRANCE
- Witness an astounding blend of chemistry and creativity at the Discover Science Center's annual Bubblefest. The yearly event highlights the physics and artistry surrounding the science and phenomena of bubbles with hands on workshops and demonstrations. And don't miss the bubble making wizardry of Fan Yang, a world renown bubble making master! The Garden of Flowing Fragrance is the Huntington Library's latest jewel in its impressive crown. The new garden encompasses a wondrous realm of Chinese Pavilions, walkways, stones and exotic plants surrounding a peaceful lake, serving as a bridge between two distinct cultures.
- Episode #230 BODY MIND & SPIRIT EXPO / ALL THAT GLITTERS: A Century of Razzle Dazzle
- Peek into the world of psychics, palm readers and new age healers at the Body Mind & Spirit Expo. The annual gathering attracts a mind-boggling mix of the extraordinary and existential, opening our eyes and our minds to the many alternate methods to achieve a healthy mind and body. And prepare to be dazzled with a sparkling collection of jewels and accessories when we visit a new exhibit at the San Bernardino Museum. "All That Glitters: A Century of Razzle Dazzle" encompasses a hundred years of glittery fashion including dresses, handbags, pins and necklaces, showcasing the glitz and glamour of a fashion-obsessed public.
- Episode #229 ARM'S LENGTH IN / SCRIPPS COLLEGE 64TH CERAMIC ANNUAL
- Witness a dynamic collection of artworks at the 2008 Scripps College Ceramic Annual. The ceramics world combines with the Digital Age to yield a dynamic combination that will stimulate the mind and dazzle the senses. A world-class collection is displayed in one of the art world's most respected settings.
- Episode #228 CAMPO GORILLA RESERVE / STAR TREK: The Tour
- The LA Zoo unveils its latest new habitat with the debut of Campo Gorilla Reserve. The new compound is a state-of-the-art playground of lush plants and trees and includes a stream and a waterfall. You'll go Ape as you watch as the zoo's current group of six gorillas explore every inch of their spacious new surroundings. And explore stange new worlds when the multi-media sci-fi spectacular "Star Trek: The Tour" beams its way into the dome of the Queen Mary. Walk the bridge of the original Enterprise, ride in a shuttlecraft and view actual models and costumes as you we pay tribute to Gene Roddenberry's groundbreaking TV classic!
- Episode #227 MOUNTAIN FIFES & DRUMS / FIRST ANNUAL PINE CONE FESTIVAL
- Experience the revolutionary music and pageantry of the Mountain Fifes and Drums, the respected institution from Lake Arrowhead. Learn about what makes this group of talented youngsters such an important part of the mountain community. And be there as the community of Twin Peaks celebrates a local icon by hosting the First Annual Pine Cone Festival. The colorful celebration includes music from local talent in addition to a taste-tempting pine cone cooking competition and the popular Pine Cone Olympics!
- Episode #226 QUEEN OF THE KING SALMON / A LOBSTER'S TALE / SANTA PAULA CITRUS FESTIVAL
- Meet "Fin" the world's largest King Salmon as she makes her way across the west bringing her message of wildlife protection to Southern California. The giant fiberglass sculpture is on a mission to spread that word about the plight of the wild salmon in Oregon bringing the message that "Extinction Stops Here." Watch a proud mother lobster as she brings lfe to tens of thousands of baby lobsters at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium's Aquatic Nursery. And wince as we put the squeeze on the Santa Paula Citrus Festival to experience their yearly sweet celebration of lemons and oranges!
- Episode #225 MEET THE GRUNION / HOMEWORLD 2007
- Witness one of nature's most bizarre mating rituals as thousands of tiny grunions make their annual pilgrimage to the beaches of San Pedro. The Cabrillo Marine Aquarium's popular "Meet the Grunion" program invites visitors to experience this unique phenomenon while educating the public on the mating habits of this slippery little sensation. And see what's new under one roof as Homeworld 2007 brings its eclectic mix of home products and services to Southern California. Held at the Anaheim Convention Center, the popular gathering features building demonstrations, gardening tips and a breathtaking display featuring a full sized home and guest house!
- Episode #224 SHAKESPEARE AT PLAY
- Join Roger in the idyllic setting of the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens as the words and poetry of William Shakespeare come alive with selected performances of many of his classic plays. It's Much Ado About Shakespeare as visitors lend their ears to enjoy scenes from "Macbeth", "The Merry Wives of Windsor", "Romeo and Juliet" and many others. The participation of the Guild of St. George and the festive dance of the maypole prove that when it comes to classic poetry, all the world's a stage, and the men and women, merely players.
- Episode #223 A FAN IN THE HAND / L.A. TIMES TRAVEL & ADVENTURE SHOW
- The world of hand fans unfolds in a special exhibit at the San Bernardino County Museum. Entitled "A Fan in the Hand" the exhibit highlights hand fans from around the world from different eras, and includes insight into the secret language of fans employed by the women of the Victorian Era. The Long Beach Convention Center is host to the world at the L.A.Times Travel & Adventure Show. Circle the globe as Roger samples the many choices for travelers including a visit with dancers from Kauai, the thrilling drumming sounds of Tonga and a look at the exciting Home Exchange program. And don't miss a classic L.A. TV moment when Roger comes face to face with KCET legend Huell Howser to share traveling tips!
- Episode #222 ALTERNATIVE CAR & TRANSPORTATION EXPO
- Join Roger as he test drives cars that run on alternative fuels at a special expo in Santa Monica. Electric vehicles, natural gas cars and hydrogen fuel cells are some of the methods that will power us through the 21st Century and Out and About meets with some of the authorities on these new transportation sources to find out just how efficient they are in helping to clean up the environment.
- Episode #221 THE APPLE ORCHARDS OF OAK GLEN
- Enjoy the bountiful harvest of hand-picked apples, fresh pressed cider and hot apple pie as Out & About visits Oak Glen, California. The popular apple destination is nestled in the hills above Yucaipa west of San Bernardino and offers an orchard of fresh apples in every conceivable shape, size and color. With its flavorful bakeries, fresh produce stands and its popular "pick your own apple" orchards, Oak Glen is ripe with activity and a leading central core of the southern California apple industry!
- Episode #220 WILDHAVEN RANCH / LA / VALLEY PRIDE 2006
- Visit a wondrous menagerie of wild life when we tour Wildhaven Ranch, the acclaimed animal rescue and rehabilitation center located in Cedar Glen near Lake Arrowhead. Find out how "Lexus" the bobcat, "Faline" the baby deer, a racoon named "Bandit" and a trio of raptors can teach us the importance of animals in our everyday lives. And join us once again as we re-visit the LA / Valley Pride Celebration at CBS Studios to witness the progress that the LAPD and LAFD have made to diversify their ranks by actively recruiting members of the gay and lesbian community.
- Episode #219 LAKE ARROWHEAD ROTARY ART & WINE FESTIVAL / HOME IMPROVEMENT EXPO
- Relish the romantic side of Lake Arrowhead living at two popular southern California institutions. First, enjoy the fine artworks and vintage spirits at the Lake Arrowhead Rotary's Annual Art and Wine Festival and see why this popular event attracts people from all over the state. Then ride across to Lake Arrowhead Village for a glimpse of what's new in home modeling and furnishing when we drop in on the popular Home Improvement Expo! And stick around as Lucille Ball impersonator Suzanne LaRusch re-creates the infamous grape-stomping scene from a beloved episode of "I Love Lucy"!
- Episode #218 GARAGE SALE MANIA / ARROWHEAD LAKE FISHING TOURNAMENT
- Experience two unique Lake Arrowhead adventures in one show starting with the popular Garage Sale Mania. The twice-yearly event features hundreds of bargain-hungry shoppers scouring the community in search of treasure and an equal amount of participating residents eager to empty their attics and closets. It all culminates in a frantic weekend of buying, selling and haggling and has proven to be a popular attraction to the Lake Arrowhead community. And stick around for more mountain activities as the Arrowhead Lake Association's Annual Fishing Derby reels in a bounty of bass and trout courtesy of some early rising anglers!
- Episode #217 AVALON HARBOR UNDERWATER CLEAN UP
- Witness over 500 divers take the plunge into the crystal waters of the famed Catalina harbor city for the annual underwater clean up. The yearly event is sponsored by the Catalina Conservancy Divers and attracts SCUBA enthusiasts from around southern California who immerse themselves in the task of hauling up trash from the ocean floor including wine bottles, dishes, fishing gear and even cell phones! Interviews with many of the divers, a visit with Avalon's mayor and some spectacular underwater images make for one breathtaking episode!
- Episode #216 CATALINA: Avalon & Beyond
- Avalon is the first stop on his journey, but when Roger breaches the popular Catalina tourist town, he explores the island's interior like never before. Begining with a tour of the Wrigley Memorial and Botanical Garden, he presses onward to visit herds of bison, glimpse the Catalina Island Fox and get a close up view of a bald eagle, all while immersing himself in the many virtues of this popular island destination!
- Episode #215 THE LINCOLN MEMORIAL SHRINE / ANIMAL ACRES
- Learn about the life and times of our 16th president at a special shrine devoted to Abraham
Lincoln. Located in Redlands, California, the Lincoln Memorial Shrine features a valuable collection of documents, letters and artifacts from the life of an American icon who led his nation through the Civil War and became one of history's great leaders. And visit with the many happy residents of Animal Acres, the farm animal sanctuary in Acton, California. Witness the happy flocks of sheep, pigs, chickens and turkeys as they enjoy a peaceful existence free from a life of cruelty.
- Episode #214 STAR ECO STATION AFRICAN AMERICAN ART FESTIVAL
- Glimpse a remarkable collection of artistic works at the Star Eco Station's Sixth Annual African American Art Festival. Comprising paintings of oil, acrylics and pastels as well as pencil drawings and sculptures made of wire, the collection spotlights the works of ten talented artists and is a perfect complement to the Star Eco Station's menagerie of reptiles, fish and birds.
- Episode #213 CARNAVAL! / SALTON SEA: Lost Lakes and Salt Dreams
- Revel in the celebratory spirit as the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History unveils a new exhibit representing the worldwide celebration of "Carnaval" which marks the beginning of Lent. The colorful assortment depicts masks and costumes from Rio De Jainero, New Orleans' Mardi Gras, and Venice, Italy among others, resulting in a festive display of worldwide celebration! And explore the mystery of one of Southern California's most fascinating areas at a new exhibit in Redlands. "Salton Sea: Lost Lakes and Salt Dreams" is the San Bernardino County Museum's tribute to an enigmatic site which has both captivated and intrigued visitors for generations.
- Episode #212 LA INTERNATIONAL TAMALE FESTIVAL / MUDDY BUDDY RIDE & RUN
- Savor a tasty assortment of tempting treats at the First Annual Los Angeles Tamale Festival. The flavorful gathering attracted some of the best tamale producing cooks in the city who served up a delectible assortments including sweet pork, spicy chicken jalapeno and savory beef. And don't miss the exciting tamale-eating contest where hungry participants put away platefuls of these sweet tempting treats! Prepare for some good clean fun when hundreds of contestants brave the early morning chill to prove they have what it takes to be a Muddy Buddy. The pairs of participants compete by traveling a six mile course ladden with obstacles like rope ladders, a giant inflatable slide and the signature event, the infamous Muddy Buddy Mud Pit, giving them one last chance to get down and dirty before crossing the finish line!
- Episode #211 ROSE HILLS FOUNDATION CONSERVATORY / LAPD at LA / VALLEY PRIDE
- See what's new under the sun when the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens unveils the new facility the Rose Hills Foundation Conservatory. The botanical wonder features four unique areas, among them a bog, a cloud forest, a rain forest and the Plant lab featuring endless hands-on activities for youngsters and grown ups. The LAPD targets a unique group of recruits at a festive gathering in Studio City. The LA / Valley Pride festival attracts members of the gay and lesbian community, offering them the opportunity to test their skills as potential police officers, while providing a glimpse of CBS Studio Center which serves as a colorful backdrop for the day's festivities.
- Episode #210 LORDS OF CREATION: The Origins of Sacred Maya Kingship / COLLAPSE?
- Witness a priceless assortment of Maya art and artifacts at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Featuring a collection that includes pottery, bowls and a colorful assortment of food containers, the exhibit traces the role of divine inspiration in the life of the Maya kings and how they used their power to influence their neighboring city states. And see what happens when civilizations crumble under their own weight when author Jared Diamond's "Collapse" is turned into a mind boggling, eye opening, multi-media extravaganza that begs the question, will mankind survive the environmental and social upheavals that are plagueing this planet?
- Episode #209 FIRST WEAPONS: The Art of Hunting Game / GIRAFFIC PARK
- Ancient weapons used to hunt game by Native Americans are the subject of a new exhibit at the San Bernardino County Museum. The display includes a rare assortment of spears, atlatls, bows and arrows, as well as an impressive demonstration including the use of a bullroarer. And at the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens in Palm Desert, zookeepers reach new heights with their latest attraction "Giraffic Park." No dinosaurs here, just a trio of stately giraffes that are so gentle, visitors get a chance to feed them each morning! Spectacular vistas of the new exhibit and a trio of very active giraffes elevate this attraction, making it head and shoulders above the rest!
- Episode #208 FESTIVAL OF THE HORSE / SEA LION CLIFFS
- The Autry National Center trots out its annual tribute to horses in a rip-roaring, rollicking display of horsemanship. The afternoon event includes an equine parade that includes cowboys, Native Americans on horseback and a group of Charros astride their beautiful "dancing horses" and the resulting spectacle captures the hoof-pounding excitement of an authentic western rodeo! The Los Angeles Zoo unveils three new features including its new facade and Children's Discovery Center, but the main attraction can be glimpsed at Sea Lion Cliffs. The new state-of-the-art habitat is home to three sea lions, Mona, Bea and Rocky and their watery antics are making quite a splash in their new aquatic abode!
- Episode #207 HERITAGE SQUARE / TUTANKHAMUN and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs
- Relive the nostalgic era of late 19th century California when O&A tours Heritage Square Museum. The unique outdoor museum reflects early Los Angeles living and features a street of historic homes, including Hale House which has been fully restored to its original glory. The fabulous treasures of King Tutankhamun make their glorious return to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art bringing to southern California all of the mystery and pageantry of Ancient Egypt. Glimpses of many of the precious artifacts, interviews with the curators and a fascinating glimpse into Tutankhamun's recent CTScan paint an intimate portrait of the boy who would be king.
- Episode #206 CALIFORNIA STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL / EXTREME MOTORSPORTS EXPO
- Enjoy the scruptuously sweet confections of one of Southern California's most popular institutions. The annual California Strawberry Festival in Oxnard brings together lovers of these delectable treats to sample the sweet sensations of strawberry pizza, strawberry smoothies and strawberry beer resulting in a "berry" good time for all! To experience the thrill and freedom of the open road, off-road fans need look no further than the Extreme Motorsports Expo. The annual gathering in Costa Mesa spotlights the stylish models that are tearing up the sands of southern California deserts. And stay tuned for a wild ride in the Kool Bus as well as a front row seat at the Boss Extreme Stunt Show which includes spectacular motorcycle jumps and wild spins inside the Ball of Steel!
- Episode #205 BRIGHT, QUICK & READY: Schools in San Bernardino County 1870s-1940s / BRACKEN BIRD FARM
- Brush up on your history as we experience a nostalgic trip back to the school days of yore at the San Bernardino County Museum's newest exhibit. Vintage photographs, textbooks and documents of the time, and an authentically detailed classroom from the turn of the century make this one school day that you won't want to miss! And find out what all of the flap is about as the Bracken Bird Farm in Redlands takes us under their wing to share their wondrous menagerie of birds from around the world. A spacious aviary, a trip through the holding pens and a visit with a camel, some donkeys and a some adorable baby birds make this one show worth crowing about!
- Episode #204 ORC: ONE RING CELEBRATION / A WALK IN THE WOODS
- Experience the remarkable devotion of fans attending the One Ring Celebration, a gathering of "Lord of the Rings" fans. Held at the Pasadena Center, the afternoon includes interviews with fans, intricate costumes and makeup demonstrations and collectibles from the designers at Weta Workshop in New Zealand. And stroll through a new exhibit at the San Bernardino County Museum that details the history of the areas woodlands and plots the future of responsible forest management.
- Episode #203 THE ARTS AND CRAFTS MOVEMENT / CABRILLO MARINE AQUARIUM EXPANSION
- Experience an important era in art history when the LA County Museum of Art premieres a new exhibit that traces the development of modern design. "The Arts and Crafts Movement" brings together an impressive collection of furniture, tapestries, and other objects which defined this groundbreaking period in the Modern Design Movement. The Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro opens the floodgates to its expanded facility featuring the new Discovery Center, the Aquatic Nursery and the Virginia Reid Moore Library.
- Episode #202 RENOIR TO MATISSE: The Eye of Duncan Phillips / ASTRONAUT AUTOGRAPH SHOW
- Witness priceless works of art at the LA County Museium of Art's exhibition of selected works from the Phillips collection. LACMA's presentation encompasses some of the world's most celebrated works in a peaceful and comfortable setting, just as the collector had envisioned. And meet a celebrated collection of heroes at the Universal Autograph Collectors Club's show devoted to astronauts. Find out who still has "The Write Stuff" as signatures are collected from living legends like an original Mercury 7 astronaut and the last man to set foot on the moon.
- Episode #201 AMERICAN HEROES AIR SHOW
- Out & About celebrates the dedication of military, police and fire rescue organizations at the American Heroes Air Show. Held at the Hansen Dam Recreation and Sports Complex, the annual gathering offers visitors the chance to witness exciting air rescue demonstrations, glimpse the latest aircraft and meet with some of the men and women devoted to laying down their lives to save others!
- Episode #200"GORGEOUS GOURDS / A LITTLE SLICE OF MALIBU
- Celebrate the coming of autumn with two harvest-themed segments in this milestone 200th episode. First, join Roger at the popular Lombardi Ranch in Saugus, California when they welcome the coming of autumn at the annual Gourd Festival. Then relish the flavorful confections of the Malibu Pie Festival, a delectible afternoon of sweet treats that is as American as apple pie!
- Episode #199 VEGAS VENTRILOQUIST FESTIVAL
- Explore the fun-filled world of ventriloquism at a special gathering at Las Vegas' Imperial Palace Hotel and Casino. The annual gathering attracts performers from around the world, resulting in an excess of double-talk. Mixed in with the "wooden" performances are some brilliant displays of this age old entertainment and the results will leave you in stitches!
- Episode #198 DESTINATION: DINOSAURS! / BRINGING FOSSILS TO LIFE: The Art of Charles R. Knight
- Journey back in time with two spectacular prehistoric segments. First witness the realistic thundering roar of "Destination: Dinosaurs!", the LA Zoo's special exhibit that is thrilling visitors. The animatronic magic, courtesy of Kokoro includes ten species of dinosaurs, among them the Triceratops, a pair of Velociraptors and the mighty T-Rex! And visit the Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits to witness the wondrous world of influential artist Charles R. Knight whose celebrated works have influenced popular culture, inspiring the creators of King Kong, Mighty Joe Young and Jurassic Park.
- Episode #197 FRED HALL FISHING TACKLE & BOAT SHOW / FISHERMEN'S SPOT FLY FISHING EXPO
- Anglers from across Southern California will be hooked when O&A tackles two special events devoted to their favorite outdoor sport. First the Fred Hall Fishing Tackle and Boat Show at the Long Beach Convention Center reels in sportsmen from across the country for the world's largest fishing expo. A Virtual Fishing demonstration, the artistic works of a talented fish mounter and the spine tingling thrills of Shark Tooth Reef will leave anglers reeling from the sheer pleasure of celebrating everyone's favorite sport. And fly fishing gets its day in the sun as Fishermen's Spot in Van Nuys hosts their yearly expo. Fly fishing and fly tying demonstrations highlight a segment that will capture your attention Hook, Line and Sinker!
- Episode #196 SHAPING UP AT THE FIT EXPO
- Get in shape with us as we explore the different methods used to stay in shape at TheFitExpo. Held at Pasadena Center, the popular expo features a bevy of beautifully toned bodies sharing their secrets for looking good and feeling great. Interviews with fitness experts including bodybulider Lou Ferrigno, a glimpse at an exciting aerobics class, lessons from a Yoga instructor and the exciting Stongman demonstration make this episode a must-see for fitness fanatics!
- Episode #195 LAPD & LAFD Recruitment Expo / LA: Light, Motion, Dreams
- LA's Finest make a plea for new members when their annual recruitment expo touches down at the Crenshaw Christian Center. The annual open house attracts potential recruits from across the city in addition to offering the public a close up view of their services. Interviews with police and fire captains and a visit with Mayor Hahn and Police Chief Bratton shed light on the fine work of these brave individuals! The City of Angels takes on a heavenly glow in a new exhibit at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County. Entitled "LA: Light, Motion, Dreams," the exhibit offers a unique perspective exploring the myths and realities of the Southern California Dream by utilizing state-of-the-art video presentations to paint an unprecedented portrait of the city.
- Episode #194 ARMORY ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE
- Witness a truly eclectic collection of works done by local artists when Pasadena's Armory Center for
the Arts unveils six wondrous artworks at Armory Northwest. Entitled "Armory Artists in Residence", the works represent both tradional and unconventional presentations, encompassing and embracing the surrounding grounds that were once housed by a local plant nursery.
- Episode #193 SPEED SPORTS EXPO / AUDUBON CENTER AT DEBS PARK
- All terrain vehicles show off their stuff at the Anaheim Convention Center's Speed Sports Expo, a collection of tough trucks, ATVs, and motor bikes built to withstand the rough desert and mountain terrain of Southern California! A glimpse of a state-of-the-art Hummer, a visit with the California Dreams Bikini team and a few words from racing legend Ivan "Ironman" Stewart highlight a segment that is sure to fuel the adrenaline rush of All Terrain fans everywhere! A new nature preserve just ten minutes from downtown is bringing Angelenos closer to the wonders of wild Los Angeles. The recently opened Audubon Center at Debs Park offers miles of trails, and a friendly visitors Center, offering children and their families a chance to experience the wonders of their own backyard!
- Episode #192 CORVETTE FUNFEST
- Pay tribute to fifty years of turning heads when we celebrate the golden anniversary of the Chevrolet Corvette at a spectacular party in the Midwest! Held in Effingham Illinois and sponsored by Mid America Direct, Inc., the weekend event was a Corvette Lover's Heaven with nearly ten thousand Corvettes on display representing all fifty years of its glorious existence! Interviews with fans and collectors, a tour of an upholstery factory, and a spectacular helicopter flight above the grounds are just a few of the highlights making this the definitive Corvette Tribute! Winner of the 2004 W.A.V.E. Award for best Community Event.
- Episode #191 THE OFFICIAL TV LAND CONVENTION
- Relive the nostalgic days of TV's early years when cable TV network TV Land celebrates our favorite shows of the 50's, 60's and 70's. The setting at the Airport Hilton in Burbank is a TV addict's dream as stars from beloved classics share their memories with eager fans! A visit with "Superman" heroine Noel Neill (Lois Lane), Bernard Fox (Dr. Bombay of "Bewitched") and Jon Provost (Timmy from "Lassie") are just a few of the memorable stars who share their stories with us and reflect on their passion for the Golden Age of Television!
- Episode #190 RABBIT 911 PROJECT / THE WHALES OF SUMMER
- See what's hopping at a special facility in Los Angeles that devotes itself to rescuing and finding loving homes for hundreds of wayward bunnies. The PetSave Foundation's Rabbit 911 Project offers refuge to homeless hares that were abandoned, abused or raised in unhealthy environments. Witness these jovial jumpers cavort around their temporary digs and learn about what you need to know about responsible rabbit care. The largest animal that ever roamed the earth, the Blue Whale makes a rare appearance off of Southern California's diverse coast during the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium's annual "Whales of Summer" trip. Open to aquarium members as well as the general public, the afternoon voyage is a wondrous journey offering sightseers a glimpse of these magnificent giants as well as views of Humpback whales, sea lions and endless schools of dolpins.
- Episode #189 KID STUFF: Great Toys From Our Childhood / SADDLE UP
- Relive some of your fondest childhood memories at a traveling exhibit devoted to the toys that we grew up with. Kid Stuff: Great Toys from Our Childhood highlights many of the memorable playthings that have stood the test of time like Lincoln Logs, Viewmasters, Slinkies and Etch-a-Sketch. Saddle Up Therapeutic Horseback Riding in Palmdale offers disabled kids the opportunity to ride horses at a ranch, stimulating their often underused muscles, and offering them some much needed self esteem and a sense of adventure!
- Episode #188 ANTIQUE & CLASSIC WOODEN BOAT SHOW / CALIFORNIA'S NATIVE GRANDEUR
- Lake Arrowhead is the perfect setting for this nostalgic gathering of Chris Craft Mohogany boats which line the docks at this popular gathering. The collection of 1930's, 40's and 50's vintage vessels is like a classic car show on the water and the healthy competition attracts some of the finest watercraft west of Havasu! California's Native Grandeur: Preserving Vanishing Landscapes offers an impressive array of paintings by renown artists depicting California in its infancy, and the companion exhibit "Images of Silence" presents stark and dynamic photos from around the country, each capturing the energy and beauty of Nature at its most profound.
- Episode #187 CERAMIC TREES OF LIFE / STAR ECO STATION
- Witness a colorful collection of Folk Art from Mexico at the UCLA Fowler Museum exhibit "Trees of Life: Folk Art from Mexico." The collection includes 65 examples of ceramic works of numerous artists as well as a visit with Martha Lara, Ambassador from Mexico making this an entertaining and informative afternoon of Mexican culture! Get back to nature at the Star Eco Station, a respected animal rescue and care facility that takes confiscated animals and finds suitable homes for them while providing education to school groups from across the city. Winner of the 2003 W.A.V.E. Awards for best TV Newsmagazine.
- Episode #186 VICTORIAN FASHION SHOW / FEZZIWIG'S BALL
- Experience the pomp and pageantry of one of the inland empire's most respected institutions. The annual Riverside Dickens Festival brings the colorful characters of the classic author to life as the streets fill with the popular hoop skirts, bustles and top hats of the period. An entertaining fashion show highlights the street wear of the Victorian era, and stick around for the epic entertainment of Fezziwig's Ball, an evening of Victorian music and dance that captures the lively spirit of this much beloved chapter in English history!
- Episode #185 CATS: Wild to Mild / GLORIANA! The Golden Legend of Elizabeth I
- If you think you know cats, think again. The San Bernardino County Museum unleashes the mysteries of the feline world to shed light on some of the misconceptions of the cat kingdom. An ancient Sabre Toothed Tiger skeleton, a wondrous menagerie of lifelike mounted specimens and a section devoted to our love affair with the common housecat make this the purr-fect antidote to the cat fancier in all of us! The legendary reign of one of history's greatest rulers is illuminated at the Huntington Library and Botanical Garden's exhibit "Gloriana! The Golden Legend of Elizabeth I." The priceless collection of manuscripts, letters and documents tell the tale of a strong-willed leader and the armies she commanded, and the afternoon Elizabethan Faire features Renaissance music, coustume and dance, recreating one of the most glorious periods in human history!
- Episode #184 SINGER AND ITALY / CHOCOLATE: The Exhibition
- The most ambitious collection of the works of American artist John Singer Sargent brighten the galleries of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in the recent exhibit "Sargent and Italy." Over 75 paintings on display tell the story of an artist's love affair with his native country of Italy, and his vivid recreations of Alpine scenery and lush representations of Venetian waterways. A deliciously sinful display of guilty pleasures awaits visitors to "Chocolate: The Exhibition." The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County unwraps the mystery of this creamy confection with an exhibit detailing the history, science and culture of this wondrously flavorful phenomenon!
- Episode #183 THE NATURE OF WILDWORKS/ANSEL ADAMS at 100
- Reconnect with nature when Roger visits some of the animals that share our affinity for Southern California living at the Nature of Wildworks in Topanga. A pair of playful possums, owls and other birds of prey, a magnificent white wolf and a pair of cougars are just a few of the creatures that inhabit this educational animal care facility. The Los Angeles County Museum of Art pays tribute to what would have been legendary photographer Ansel Adams' 100th birthday with an extensive retospective of his works including original photographs and portfolios of America's premiere landscape photographer.
- Episode #182 SHARK LAGOON & LORIKEET FOREST / UNDERSTANDING SUISEKI
- Visit some of southern California's newest residents in two new attractions at the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific: the ocean's most frightening predators inhabiting the coves of Shark Lagoon, and a colorful flock of birds from Australia at Lorikeet Forest, an outdoor atrium of free-flying birds. Glimpse the unique colors and textures of nature's own sculptures when we learn of the Japanese art of Suiseki. These "viewing stones" are popular garden additions in the Far East and a California organization known as Aiseki Kai brings together an assortment of these mystical stones to showcase their unique mystery and beauty.
- Episode #181 DOGS: WOLF, MYTH, HERO & FRIEND
- Learn why the faithful dog has been at mankind's side since the dawn of civilization when the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County unleashes a new exhibit devoted to Man's Best Friend! See how dogs can detect even the most minute of smells, witness everyday life in a wolf pack, and stick around for an afternoon event as the museum turns its backyard into the city's largest dogpark! A close encounter with an actual wolf, the canine acrobatics of frisbee-playing pooches, and a visit with the Guide Dogs of America make for an afternoon of doggone good entertainment!
- Episode #180 VINTAGE CLOTHING EXPO / ACTION FIGURE SHOW & SALE
- Glimpse the fabulous fashions of yesteryear at the annual Vintage Fashion Expo featuring the clothing designs of the 40's, 50's and 60's. The nostalgic gathering at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium is a fashion hound's delight as a stunning array of designs are displayed before an audience that appreciates the elegance and sophistication of dressing in style! And witness military chic circa 1964 as GI Joe collectibles are dusted off and displayed in all of their military regalia. Find out how collectible these action figures are, and witness the testimonials of devoted collectors shattering the myth that dolls are for girls!
- Episode #179 WORLD WEAVING FESTIVAL
- See an incredible collection of fine woven fabrics at the fifth annual World Weaving Festival. Set within the peacful courtyard of Mission San Juan Capistrano, this yearly gathering highlights a global assortment of fabric and basket weaving styles and techniques, and also features an eclectic selection of musical acts, making for a world class international afternoon of entertainment!
- Episode #178 SCUBA SHOW / UNDERWATER VISIONS
- Grab your snorkel and slip on a comfortable pair of fins as Roger dives head first into one of the largest SCUBA diving marketplaces in the country. Vintage diving equipment, new state-of-the-art gear and a test pool where first-time divers can take the plunge for the first time are just of few of the highlights in this Scuba-spectacular! And stick around for more underwater adventures as San Pedro's Cabrillo Marine Aquarium highlights a colorful assortment of diving photography through Bill Brush's colorful "Underwater Visions" exhibition.
- Episode #177 HUCK FINN JUBILEE / ORIGAMI FESTIVAL
- Experience the exciting world of Twain's Mississippi at the annual Huck Finn Jubilee in Victorville. A toe-taping mixture of Bluegrass music weaves its way through the fun-filled festivities including the exciting raft building race and a popular Huck Finn look-a-like contest making for a memorable afternoon that captures the spirit of Twain's immortal characters! The ancient Japanese art of origami unfolds at the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena. A series of children's workshops featuring origami art, a festive paper boat race and the soothing sounds of a Japanese flute make for a colorful introduction to this fascinating Japanese tradition!
- Episode #176 WAYS OF THE RIVERS / RIVER ALCHEMY
- Witness a wondrous array of Africa art as the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History unfolds "Ways of the Rivers: Arts and Environment of the Niger Delta." The exhibit features an astounding array of items representing the arts and traditions of the peoples of the Niger Delta including detailed carvings of Bush Spirits, headdresses from Ijo Masquerades and a haunting Kalabari Funeral Bed! A different river plays an important part in another art display entitled "River Alchemy." This exhibition organized by the Arroyo Arts Collective features special art displays along a portion of the infamour Los Angeles River, culminating in a fascinating encounter with that mysterious urban tribe, the L.A. Mudpeople!
- Episode #175 BIG LEAGUE DREAMS / IRON DOG DAYS
- Realize your childhood dreams of playing at the Big Leagues at a spectacular sports park in Cathedral City. Big League Dreams Sports Parks has it all in the form of three near-regulation sized baseball fields modeled after popular real-life stadiums where kids of all ages fulfill their dreams of playing like the Pros! It's dog-eat-dog competition at the first annual "Iron Dog Days" at Woodley Park in Van Nuys. Canines from across the state compete in games of Flyball, Canine Disc Competition and Agility training to determine which dog will carry the banner of Iron Dog Champion!
- Episode #174 APACHELAND / END OF TRAIL
- Arizona's mysterious Superstition Mountains serves as a perfect backdrop to showcase Apacheland's unique western charm. The authentic western movie ranch located in Gold Canyon, was the site of dozens of classic cowboy movies and currently houses a general store, a working stagecoach and one of the area's finest restaurants! Saddle up for one of the grandest western festivals this side of Texas; End of Trail is a yearly phenomenon in Norco, California, featuring an authentic western town, dozens of shooting ranges for eager sharpshooters, and an authentic Buffalo Bill-style Wild West Show featuring Harvey Wallbanger Jr., the country's most talented bison!
- Episode #173 COWBOY POETRY & MUSIC FESTIVAL
- Melody Ranch in Newhall California is the ideal backdrop for the Ninth Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Poetry and Music Festival. Spread throughout one of Southern California's best western movie backlots, the festivities welcome a wondrous selection of strolling entertainers and visitors, each relishing the toe tapping rhythms of classic cowboy tunes. A visit with local dignitaries, an entertaining display by trick roper Karen Quest, and an impromptu musical jam with premiere cowboy band "The Sons of San Joaquin" make this episode a must-see for western music fans!
- Episode #172 GEORGE S. PATTON MEMORIAL MUSEUM / SPIES: Secrets from the CIA, KGB & Hollywood
- Travel with us to Chiriaco Summit for a walk through the one museum dedicated to famed World War II General George S. Patton. See actual uniforms, artillery shells and a vast collection of authentic tanks and learn of what brought General Patton and his legions to this tiny town and how they prepared to face the advancing Nazi threat in North Africa. There's Cold War intrigue at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum as the CIA Museum premieres its travelling collection of Spy memorabilia. Secret listening devices, hidden cameras, a German Enigma box and a collection of Hollywood Spy collectibles are just a few of the items on display offering visitors an inside look at the skullduggery that encompasses an average day in the life of the CIA!
- Episode #171 FUNDAMENTALLY CLAY:Scripps College 58th Ceramic Annual
- The annual Scripps College Ceramics show is the longest running show of its kind, and this magnificent assortment of artworks demonstrates exactly why it has become such an institution. Twelve artists showcase divergent works of form, movement and sculpture, each central to curator Nancy Selvin's theme "Fundamentally Clay." From Bean Finneran's neon-colored nests to Yoonchung Kim's spinning suspended pang-ee tops, this eclectic mix contains enough dynamic energy to fire up even the most jaded of art fanatics.
- Episode #170 OSTRICH LAND / OUT & ABOUT: The Tenth year Saga
- Join Roger and a dozen feathered friends to learn why Ostrich Land is such an irresistible atttraction. The 33 acre ranch in Buellton, just outside of Solvang is home to a dozen of the feathered fowl, and the addition of a dozen hatchlings is certain to ensure plently of ostrich antics! And stay with us as we commemorate the tenth year of O&A with a peek at the past season's adventures, including highlights from the refurbished Palm Springs Tramway, a glimpse of the Stealth Boat "Sea Shadow," the colorful journey to Solvang, and Roger's exclusive visit with world-renown primatologist, Dr. Jane Goodall!
- Episode #169 SUPERCROC / VIKINGS:The North Atlantic Saga
- Come face to face with SuperCroc, the cast of a forty foot fossilized prehistoric Crocodile which was unearthed in Africa! A visit with National Geographic representatives and some really intense close ups of this terrifying beast make for one SUPER show! Witness a truly epic collection of Viking artifacts at the Natural History Museum of LA County's current exhibit devoted to the Vikings and their historic journeys. A scale model Viking ship, actual artifacts and swords, and a couple of costumed Vikings make for an entertaining saga of epic proportions!
- Episode #168 WATTS TOWERS REOPENING/ INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF MASKS
- Closed to visitors since the 1994 Northridge earthquake, the Watts Towers are reopened to the public and they stand as tall and proudly as ever. Simon Rodia's unique artistic milestone is the crown jewel of a community and a cornerstone in folk art and urban design. The Los Angeles Craft and Folk Art Museum plays host to the International Festival of Masks, a yearly celebration of music, art, and culture and one of the city's most colorful annual events!
- Episode #167 QUICKSILVER RANCH / LI'L ORPHAN HAMMIES
- Roger gets low down with the tiny four-footed residents of the Quicksilver Ranch, a popular breeding site for miniature horses. The respected Solvang institution boasts an impressive array of pint-sized ponies, offering the horse loving public the opportunity to own one of these mighty minis who can still pull up to ten times its weight! Another Solvang institution offers abandonded and abused pigs the chance to live out their lives in a caring and loving environment. Li'l Orphan Hammies offers refuge to over 120 pigs, offering them food, shelter and medical care, a little bit of Hog Heaven right here in Southern California!
- Episode #166 VELKOMMEN TO SOLVANG
- The charming community of Solvang greets visitors to its sunny golden hills as Roger relishes the sights, sounds and smells of authentic Danish living. A visit to a scrumpcious Danish bakery, a trip to the Hans Christian Andersen Museum and a walk through a festive Christmas boutique are just a few of the highlights that await us as we happily immerse ouselves in Danish culture and cuisine!
- Episode #165 WINSLOW HOMER AND THE CRITICS / POTTERY MAKERS OF MATA ORTIZ
- Witness a fascinating portrait of 19th Century Americana when the Los Angeles County Museum of Art showcases priceless works by famed artist Winslow Homer. The more than fifty works represent America at a crossroads following the Civil War where racial integration and a countrywide prosperity inspire Homer to create his most enthalling works. The Southwest Museum welcomes the artisans of Mata Ortiz, Mexico where wondrous works of painted clay provide a sense of pride and inspiration to an entire community.
- Episode #164 JANE GOODALL: Roots & Shoots / BONSAI BEAUTIES
- Join us for an intimate visit with world renown primatologist Dr. Jane Goodall when she visits the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens. Dr. Goodall shares her views of global ecology and welcomes the many participants of "Roots & Shoots," an organization that she created to increase awareness of environmental issues. Witness an incredible array of bonsai when the popular horticultural art form is celebrated in a special gathering at the Los Angeles Arboretum.
- Episode #163 TESTING THE WATERS / GUNNERS OF THE FLYING FORTRESS
- Join the O&A crew with a rare glimpse at two military triumphs: The mysterious Stealth Boat "Sea Shadow" moored at the LA Harbor and alongside it, the Flagship of the Third Fleet U.S.S. Coronado, two vessels on a goodwill mission to showcase new military technologies to the taxpaying public. Relive the harrowing days of World War II as we visit two B-17 veterans who braved the deadly skies of one of history's bloodiest wars in the cramped confines of a ball turret gun!
- Episode #162 A COMMUNION OF THE SPIRITS / CRAZY OVER QUILTS
- Quilts and quiltmakers are center stage as "Out & About" explores two different realms of this American Tradition. First, the Natural History Museum is host to "A Communion of the Spirits: African-American Quilters, Preservers and Their Stories," an eye-opening glimpse into the private lives of some of the country's most talented quilters. And the Quilt Show of Glendale knits together a multi-layered assortment of quilts, crafts and wearable art, highlighting modern and traditional methods of quiltmaking. This special episode was nominated for a 2001 W.A.V.E. Award for best Documentary Event.
- Episode #161 RIVERSIDE DICKENS FESTIVAL / THE WRITE STUFF
- Join the festivities in Riverside as the author of "Oliver Twist" and "A Tale of Two Cities" is celebrated in an elaborate street fair. An interesting chat with Mr. Pickwick, an audience with Queen Victoria herself and a visit to an authentic Flea Circus are some of the highlights of this Dickensian celebration! And keeping in the spirit of one of England's greatest writers, we pay tribute to the indomitable Fountain Pen with a glimpse at rare and valuable writing instruments and the people with a penchant for collecting them!
- Episode #160 GOLDSTONE & the Deep Space Network / PALM SPRINGS AERIAL TRAMWAY 2001
- A show devoted to engineering wonders: First the mysterious satellite dishes at Goldstone which communicate with NASA and JPL's deep space probes to capture information and images from distant planets in our solar system. Then, the recently refurbished Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, now featuring the new Rotair cars which give riders a thrilling 360 degree view of the desert valley as they ascend the slopes of Mt. San Jacinto!
- Episode #159 A T-REX NAMED SUE / ARTS OF PACIFIC ASIA SHOW
- A life-like traveling cast of the Chicago Field Museum's star attraction "Sue" the T-Rex thunders its way through the hallways of the Natural History Museum of LA County, bringing with her a wealth of information on one of Earth History's most fascinating subjects. The art and culture of the Pacific Asian people unfolds at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium with precious items from China, Tibet and Japan.
- Episode #158 BELLA VIA ITALIAN STREET PAINTING
- Witness a remarkable gallery of fine art on the pavement of the Valenica Town Center as artists from across the state reveal their chalk drawing skills at the annual Bella Via Italian Art Festival. A walkthrough of this amazing collection of temporary works is highlighted by interviews with many of the artsts themselves, painting an illuminating portrait of the growing popularity of street art!
- Episode #157 ANGELS AMONG US / PAGAN DAY FESTIVAL
- Get ready for a real spiritual journey as we explore the Angel phenomenon at the 7th Annual Angel Festival. Held at the New Church in Glendale, the afternoon was a spirited gathering of goodwill, attracting faithful believers as well as anyone who has ever been "Touched by an Angel." The flipside of religious freedom is explored at the Pagan Day Festival. Held at the park outside of the Federal Building in Westwood, the devilish proceedings include wiccans, satanists and occult-related groups eager to claim their right to religious freedom. A dramatic departure from our usual fare, and believe us when we say "the devil made us do it!"
- Episode #156 THE RETRO SHOW / LOST IN TIME: A Journey Through Out & About's 9th Season
- 1960's, 70's & 80's pop culture is celebrated at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in the form of the Retro Show. The Nostalgic gathering offered up everything from pinball machines, to black light posters to Ms. Pacman. And don't miss Roger's illuminating psychic reading! It's time again for the annual digest of the year's segments. Highlights from the past season include the Red Ape Rain Forest, the Gold Rush Town, Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show and the spectacular Seattle tour!
- Episode #155 LIFE IN A GOLD RUSH CAMP / RED APE RAIN FOREST
- Discover how life was like during the Gold Rush when the Huntington Library celebrates its latest collection "Land of Golden Dreams: California in the Gold Rush Decade 1848-1858." The collection of manuscripts and artifacts is highlighted by the recreation of a mining camp including log cabin building, candlemaking and gold paning, right on the lawn of the Huntington's famous grounds! The LA Zoo unveils its latest attraction, Red Ape Rain Forest, and O&A guest host Konrad Monti goes bananas with the entire bunch! An O&A first with Roger behind the camera for a change!
- Episode #154 JELLIES: Phantoms of the Deep / LOST IN TIME: Amazing Maize Maze 2000
- Witness a spellbinding array of watery wonders when the Aquarium of the Pacific unleashes a breathtaking collection of jellies in its newest exhibit. Popularly known as jellyfish, these are not fish at all, but an invertebrate that is made up of 95% water and the aquarium's collection of a dozen species shed some much needed light on these fascinating creatures. Wander the tall green corridors of this year's Amazing Maize Maze. Shaped as the Aztec calendar, this season's design offers visitors plenty of surprises as they navigate the twists and turns of this popular retreat!
- Episode #153 SAVAGE ANCIENT SEAS / DESERT ADVENTURE
- Experience the turbulent Cretaceous Period as the ocean comes alive with Giant Mosasaurs, Elasmosaurs and other fascinating ocean denizens when the Natural History Museum of LA County unleashes "Savage Ancient Seas." Join Roger and the O&A crew on a spectacular jeep tour of the Mojave as they visit a Cahilla Indian village, walk through the San Andreas Fault and experience the desert as never before!
- Episode #152 L.A. MODERNISM SHOW / THE WILD WEST COMES TO THE AUTRY!
- The past and future of design collide at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium's L.A. Modernism Show, revealing the styles and trends that have shaped the art, furniture and decor of the Twentieth Century! The Autry Museum of Western Heritage continues its celebration of western legend Buffalo Bill with a rollicking recreation, featuring cowboys, indians, trick riders, ropers and a spectacular western procession!
- Episode #151 PHARAOHS of the SUN / UNIVERSAL CITYWALK EXPANSION
- Relive the wondrous days of Ancient Egypt as seen through the eyes of Akhenaten, the king who dared to defy a Dynasty by worshiping one god over all others. The exhibit at the LA County Museum of Art showcases art and sculpture from the Amarna Age including pieces representing Akhenaten's queen, Nefertiti and Tutankhamen, the boy king. Universal CityWalk opens a whole new street featuring an arcade, an Imax Theatre, fabulous shops and restaurants and a bowling area, making it the "Times Square" of the West Coast!
- Episode #150 MAKING NOISE OVER "STOMP" / BUFFALO BILL'S WILD WEST
- Relish the chaotic cacophony of "Stomp," the musical dance/percussion sensation that is sweeping the nation with its rhythmic symphony of trash can lids, pipes and broomsticks! The Autry Museum of Western Heritage unveils "Buffalo Bill's Wild West." a collection of artifacts and memorabilia including an actual stagecoach used in Cody's world famous Wild West Show!
- Episode #149 INTERNATIONAL POSTER FAIR / MASTERS OF THE AMERICAN WEST
- It's Posters Galore as O&A witnesses an astounding array of art in all colors and styles. The Santa Monica Civic Auditorium is host to this very International Affair featuring posters in nearly every artistic genre of the past century. A remarkable collection of art and sculpture at the Autry Museum of Western Heritage captures the mystery and the exuberance of the Native American and Cowboy experience.
- Episode #148 THOSE THRILLING DAYS OF YESTERYEAR / PLANETFEST
- Relive the nostalgia of old time radio when the O&A crew tunes in to the S.P.E.R.D.V.A.C. convention, a celebration of the art and adventure of live radio programs which includes a re-enactment of "The Lone Ranger" featuring the original cast! The mysterious Red Planet Mars is the focus of Planetfest, which touched down in Pasadena featuring the space exploration work of NASA, JPL and the DSN Deep Space Network.
- Episode #147 SEATTLE UNDERGROUND / TRAIN RIDE TO SNOQUALMIE / MOUNT ST.HELENS: 20 YEARS
- The Seattle Washington adventure which began with the Bosslift reaches its thrilling conclusion with a tour of the mysterious Seattle Underground City, a train ride to the waterfall of Snoqualmie, site of the Twin Peaks TV series, and a look at Mount St. Helens twenty years after the powerful volcanic eruption!
- Episode #146 BOSSLIFT: E.S.G.R.
- The organization known as the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve host Roger and crew for a weekend adventure which includes a flight on a Navy Transport jet, a tour of a Coast Guard Cutter, a visit to the Isometric Inspection Hangar, and culminating with a glimpse of an actual Trident Nuclear Submarine!
- Episode #145 RECYCLED. RE-SEEN / BEARS; IMAGINATION & REALITY
- See what happens when a little ingenuity goes into making beautiful works of art out of everyday throwaways like cans, bottles and old tires. The UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History is host to this incredible showcase of trash chic where beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder! The Natural History Museum of LA County presents an illuminating glimpse into the fact and folklore of bears with skulls, artworks, photographs and a whimsical collection of Teddy Bears. Unbearable puns!
- Episode #144 MARCH AIR FORCE BASE / A YEAR OF HISTORY, BEAUTY & FANTASY
- O&A kicks of a tour of military establishments with a stopover at Riverside County's respected institution March Air Force Base. A tour of the Air Traffic Tower and the March Field Museum highlight this high-flying segment! Memorable moments from last year include visits with paragliders, cowpokes and mummies as O&A wraps up its eighth season!
- Episode #143 THE AMAZING MAIZE MAZE / ULTRA LIGHT, ULTRA FLIGHT
- Explore the gold and green confines of California's newest amusement, the Amazing Maize Maze. Located in Oxnard, the seasonal attraction is a giant walk through maze of corn filled with corny surprises along the way! The ultimate thrill ride of Paragliding and Hang gliding takes wing in Santa Barbara as a costumed collection of flyers brighten the sky with poetic aerial wizardy.
- Episode #142 EQUUS SANCTUARY
- Join the O&A crew for an in-depth look at the four legged equine residents of Equus Sanctuary. Located east of Palmdale, the 40 acre facility cares for over 300 injured or abandoned horses, enabling them a chance to run as free as they were meant to be!
- Episode #141 JUST GERANIUMS / VILLAGE WATUTU
- A colorful asortment of fragrant blooms greet visitors at Descanso Gardens at the International Geranium Society's anual show and sale. The annual Mother's Day weekend event attracts a wide assortment of colorful blossoms making it the definitive LA geranium gathering! The intoxicating sounds of haunting African music fill the air at Village Watutu, the Living Desert's newest attraction which features shops, a restaurant, a petting kraal and a wide assortment of desert animals.
- Episode #140 THREADS OF LIGHT / BUTTERFLIES IN LIVING COLOR
- Embroidery techniques from Suzhou, (pronounced "soo-chow")China offer visitors a delicate and colorful assortment of silk works. The extensive collection at the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History includes many classic Chinese designs as well as a large assortment based upon the striking photos taken by photographer Robert Glenn Ketcham. The Natural History Museum of L.A. County offers an extensive collection of Butterflies from around the world as well as the wondrous "Pavilion of Wings," a large walk-through "butterfly house" where hundreds of live butterflies flutter about freely!
- Episode #139 NEWSEUM'S NEWSCAPADE / MYSTERIES OF THE MUMMIES
- The Washington D.C. based Newseum brings its eye-opening mix of Electronic and Print Journalism to the nation with a stop in Los Angeles. Vintage headlines, a high-definition presentation and a chance to be a real TV anchorperson are just a few of the attractions in this "newsworthy" episode! The San Diego Museum of Man unearths a chilling collection of mummies and skeletons with "Mysteries of the Mummies," bringing new meaning to the expression "I want my Mummy!"
- Episode #138 LEGOLAND: Brick by Brick / A CENTURY OF ROSES
- America's first Legoland Amusement Park comes to Southern California in a myriad of whimsical shapes and colors. The 128 acre park in Carlsbad offers enough wondrous activities to tap the creative imagination of a new generation! A Sunday morning stroll through the rose garden at the Huntington Library makes for a peaceful, enchanting retreat as this favorite gathering place blossoms with fragrant flowers in full bloom!
- Episode #137 THE QUEEN MARY SCOTTISH FESTIVAL/ SOUTH COAST BATTLE GROUP
- Scottish music and culture comes to the decks of the Queen Mary with a lively assortment of Bagpipers,
Scottish Clans, and a hefty assortment of He-Men athletes who compete in the Highland Games competition while wearing kilts! A group of ship modelers play out their war game obsessions at El Prado Regional
Park in Chino with an impressive array of battleships and destroyers as well as a historic sinking of the Titanic!
- Episode #136 BUG APPETIT!! / THE GREAT RUSSIAN DINOSAURS
- The Natural History Museum of LA County plays host to Chef David George Gordon's unusual culinary insect cuisine: an exotic menu of Fried Scorpion, Teriyaki Centipede and Stir-Fried Cricket! The Natural History Museum is also host to a rare assembly of fossil castings and skulls from Russia and Mongolia, a treat for Dinosaur-starved visitors!
- Episode #135 VAN GOGH'S VAN GOGHS / INTER- NATIONAL MODELER SHOW
- The Los Angeles County Museum's wondrous exhibition of Van Gogh works is an illuminating glimpse into the life of a talented master. Close up views of many of the seventy paintings and interviews with actual surviving Van Gogh family members highlight this enlightening episode! The International Modeler Show boasts a colorful assortment of model enthusiasts who bring their airplanes, boats and radio-controlled cars to the Pasadena Center.
- Episode #134 THE GREAT EXPERIMENT: George Washington & the American Republic / CAMPO de CAHUENGA
- The Huntington Library in San Marino hosts an historical collection of artifacts and documents detailing the life and career of George Washington, shedding much-needed light on the life of Americas' first great leader. Campo de Cahuenga is a little known historic landmark, the site of a treaty to end the Mexican-American War and a lively reenactment of the treaty's signing highlight this segment which includes period dancers and entertainment.
- Episode #133 Michael Martin Murphey's WESTFEST
- Michael Martin Murphey's western extravaganza gallops into Devore, California bringing with it a stagecoach full of western thrills including an actual rodeo, a Mountain Man trading post, a Native American Powwow and a country western jamboree making it the ultimate cowpoke celebration!
- Episode #132 CABRILLO CHOCOLATE LOBSTER DIVE / AUTUMN IN THE GARDEN
- Uncover the mystery of Southern California's latest infestation of these sweet crustacean confections and witness hundreds of Scuba Divers as they scramble for prizes in this event sponsored by the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium. The Japanese Garden in Van Nuys offers a peaceful tranquility for visitors who stroll through its lush gardens, a triumph of ecological recycling courtesy of the nearby Tillman Water Reclaimation Plant.
- Episode #131 BICYCLES: History, Beauty, Fantasy / WINGS OVER LONG BEACH
- Bicycle collector Prior Dodge peddles his whimsical assortment of antique bicyles into the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History offering a rare glimpse at America's love affair with these two-wheeled wonders! The Long Beach Airport is the launching point for an incredible collection of vintage and modern aircraft including close ups of the Stealth Bomber and Fighter, a C-5 Transport, and a colorful fashion show featuring the flight attendant wear of yesteryear!
- Episode #130 COASTAL CLEANUP DAY / RED SCORPION RISING
- Join Roger as he and hundreds of other volunteers pitch in to help Heal the Bay on their annual Coastal Cleanup Day. Families, Boy Scouts, Scuba Divers and even US Senator Barbara Boxer and State Senator Tom Hayden are some of the volunteers who will not rest until the COAST IS CLEAR. The Russian submarine Red Scorpion surfaces alongside the Queen Mary in Long Beach serving as an ambassador to bridge the gulf between the two Superpowers.
- Episode #129 EXCAVATING PIT 91 / HEAVEN IN OUR SEVENTH YEAR
- The asphalt deposits of the La Brea Tar Pits unearth mysteries of early Southern California life and Roger descends into an actaul working pit to witness the excavation of these precious fossils. Out & About celebrates seven years with a glimpse at the season's highlights including the New Mexico journeys, the Catalina Dive trip and the exciting fossil expedition to Red Rock Canyon.
- Episode #128 LOVING LUCY / THE CHIMPANZEES OF MAHALE MOUNTAINS
- America loves Lucy and this lively tribute features not only an incredible assortment of Lucy memorabilia, but interviews with "I Love Lucy" alumni including director William Asher, and writers Bob Carrol Jr. and Madelyn Pugh-Davis. The newest attraction to the L.A. Zoo, "The Chimpanzees of Mahale Mountains" opens a whole new world to these playful primates, the first phase in the zoo's ambitious Great Ape Expansion.
- Episode #127 HART PARK ANIMAL FAIR
- Animals abound at William S. Hart Park in Newhall for the annual Animal Fair. Join Roger for a close up view of the park's barnyard
residents as well as a glimpse of exotics like lions, tigers, bears and an African Elephant making this show a must-see for animal lovers!
- Episode #126 MANATEE RESCUE / AQUARIUM OF THE PACIFIC
- The silent underwater realm of the Florida Manatee is on display at SeaWorld San Diego. Witness these gentle sea
creatures for the first time outside of Florida and learn what is being done to protect them in the wild. The magnificent Long Beach
Aquarium of the Pacific is an incredible ocean realm highlighting the waters of the Northern Pacific, Tropical Palau, and our own Baja California making it one of the premiere aquariums on the Pacific Coast.
- Episode #125 TOOLS OF THE TRADE / TALLSHIPS IN MINIATURE
- Sawdust fills the air at the Orange County Fairgrounds as amateur and professional woodworkers display the latest
drills, lathes and scroll saws, putting this particular show on the cutting edge of carpentry. The Queen Mary of Long Beach is the perfect
berth for the Western Ship Model Conference and Exhibit, featuring a fabulous flotilla of tiny tabletop Tallships!
- Episode #124 BEADS, BODY & SOUL / SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BICYCLE EXPO
- A colorful new exhibition of Yoruba beadwork at the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History paints a delicate portrait of
West African art. It's different spokes for different folks as the second annual Bicycle Expo pedals its way into the
Los Angeles Convention Center, bringing a message of clean air transportation to residents of Southern California.
- Episode #123 DINOSAURS! / FOSSIL HUNTING AT RED ROCK CANYON
- Experience an impressive
array of animatronic dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County; Then explore the fascinating realm of fossil
collecting as Roger joins the museum staff on a collecting expedition at Red Rock Canyon State Park!
- Episode #122 COINS & COLLECTIBLES EXPO / THE GREAT TRAIN & TOY SHOW
Witness a rich assortment of rare coins, paper money and collectible stamps at the Coin & Stamp Expo in Long Beach. A colorful array of toys are on display at the Orange County Fairgrounds as the Greenberg Train, Dollhouse and Toy Show rolls in with its whimsical display of miniature collectibles.
- Episode #121 CATALINA: ABOVE & BELOW
- Join the O&A crew as they embark on a truly epic
journey aboard the fishing vessel "First String" for a marine collecting expedition with the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium. Spectacular
underwater footage, a tour of Catalina's Hyperbaric Chamber and an actual shark feeding frenzy highlight one of Out & About's most
- Episode #120 CUSTOM & VINTAGE DRUM SHOW / LOS ANGELES TANGO FESTIVAL
Drum fans follow a well beaten path to the first Custom & Vintage Drum Show in Hollywood, headlining an impressive array of
instruments and collectors as well as some terrific drum playing. The romantic moves of a group of talented dancers
captivate a Hollywood crowd with their seductive moves at this first annual tribute to the art of Tango.
- Episode #119 THE ART OF BEING KUNA / FIRE IN THE SKY: The Walton Experience
The mystical world of the Kuna is on display at the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History as photographs, artworks and decorative
molas reveal an intimate portrait of the native people of Kuna Yala. UFO abductee Travis Walton relates his fantastic experience
aboard a flying saucer, detailing one of the most famous abduction cases in history.
- Episode #118 THE SAINTMAKERS OF NORTHERN NEW MEXICO
Just north of Santa Fe in the small town of Espanola, a group of Santeros or "Saintmakers" make their home, creating wondrous
works of art based on religious inconography. Interviews with six local santeros and rare glimpses of them at work highlight a
poignant and informative half hour reflecting their faith and devotion.Winner of the 1997 Communicator Award of distinction in the category of the Arts.
- Episode #117 CARLSBAD CAVERNS / MUSEUM OF THE HORSE
Join the O&A crew as they continue their New Mexico journey with a visit to Carlsbad Caverns! A walk through the
cavernous chambers and a thrilling outflight of Mexican Freetail bats highlight a wondrous and informative tour. Ruidoso New
Mexico is the site of the Museum of the Horse, an invaluable collection of art and artifacts detailing Mankind's love affair with
horses and their impact on the expansion of the West.
- Episode #116 ROSWELL: THE FIRST FIFTY YEARS
Although the events of 1947 Roswell may never be known, O&A sheds light on this fascinating phenomenon with
a visit to this year's Roswell UFO Encounters featuring the fiftieth anniversary of the flying saucer crash. Interviews with
key speakers as well as visits to Hangar 84 and the crash site area highlight a controvery that has only increased with
- Episode #115 THE LITTLE ENGINES THAT COULD / SIX GREAT YEARS OF EXPLORATION!
The Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum in Vista California rolls out classic farm equipment for its twice
yearly threshing bee, antique engine & tractor show. A working sawmill, a Corlis steam engine and a visit to the blacksmith
shop highlight an enlightening afternoon! Relive some of O&A's best moments as we pay tribute to
events and activities of the past year including surfing, sheepherding, and visits to some of Utah's National Parks!
- Episode #114 TITANIC: The Expedition/ X-GAMES XPERIENCE
Explore the history of one of the century's greatest tragedies as the O&A crew take us to
the Queen Mary's spectacular display of authentic Titanic artifacts! Actual objects taken from the Northern
Atlantic as well as photos and models of the actual salvage
equipment, bring to the surface one of the 20th Century's greatest mysteries. And...
X-cellent coverage of ESPN's X Games Xperience Tour offers the breathtaking skating
stunts of X-pert rollerbladers, skateboarders and stunt cyclists. Santa Monica Beach is the perfect backdrop
for a wild afternoon celebrating the thrills and spills of these X-tremely popular sports!
- Episode #113 SAN FERNANDO VALLEY HERDING ASSOCIATION
Ted & Janna Ondrak play host to the O&A Crew to demonstrate how dogs are trained
to herd sheep. Watch as Border Collies, Bouvier des Flandres and Australian Shepherds keep their frisky
flocks in Sheep-shape condition!
- Episode #112 THE DINOSAURS OF JURASSIC PARK
"Lost World" fans won't want to miss this entertaining and informative look at the San Diego Natural
History Museum's "Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park" exhibit. Detailed coverage of the exhibit as well as interviews with
the Museum's curator of Paleontology Tom Demere and world renown paleontologist Jack Horner packs this particular show
with lots of DINO-MIGHT!
- Episode #111 INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION/ SPACE MEMORABILIA SHOW
- The cooperation of over a dozen countries, the International Space Station's traveling exhibit displays laboratories and living quarters
ushering in a whole new era of opportunity and discovery. Collectors of outer space memorabila from the U.S. and Russian Space Programs bid for historic items such as space suits, rocket models and autographed photos at this popular auction including
an authentic Sputnik model, an actual cosmonaut spacesuit, and a collection of miniature models spanning the entire age of space travel.
- Episode #110 BEST FRIENDS ANIMAL SANCTUARY
- Located in the state of Utah,
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary provides food, shelter and care to over 1,500 abused and abandoned animals, making it the largest shelter of its kind in the country. A tour of the grounds as well as interviews with the volunteers shed some much needed light on the issue of humane animal treatment and the need for serious pet population control.
- Episode #109 CUANDO HABLAN LOS SANTOS/ COIN-OP SUPER SHOW
- Religious iconography of the Santeros artists from New Mexico is on display at the Fowler Museum of Cultural History
in a colorful and moving exhibit of faith and devotion. The Coin-Op Super Show in Pasadena offers collectors a nostalgic look
back in time at vintage Bubblegum machines, Gas Pumps and Victrolas.
- Episode #108 SHOSHONE: Gateway to Death Valley/ THE GREATEST EARTH ON SHOW
- The city of Shoshone California is highlighted with a trip to the Shoshone Museum, a glimpse at ancient petroglyphs,
and a haunting tour through abandonded caves which once housed miners from the area. The splendor of Bryce Canyon
and Zion National Park is captured as Out & About visits Utah. The trek culminates with a spectacular flight over the Grand Canyon,
as well as a trip to local landmark "Denny's Wigwam".
- Episode #107 ISN'T S/HE A DOLL?/ THE CALIFORNIA DIAMONDS
- The Fowler Museum of Cultural History's African Doll exhibit unveils a moving portrait of the importance of dolls in
African life and ritual in contrast to their role in Western Society. The California Diamonds All-Girls Softball Team plays
hardball against a group of men from MTV's "Singled Out" in a wild and carefree Battle of the Sexes.
- Episode #106 INDOOR SKYDIVING!/ ENTER THE NIGHT: Behind the Scenes
- Roger takes the plunge and Skydives for the first time, but he forgets his parachute! Actually he experiences
the sensation of an authentic parachute drop in a wind tunnel in Las Vegas. "Enter the Night" is the Stadust Hotel and Casino's
show-stopping dance sensation and OUT & ABOUT goes backstage for an intimate look at what it takes to put it
- Episode #105 UBEHEBE CRATER/ SCOTTY'S CASTLE
- The Death Valley Adventure continues as the OUT & ABOUT crew delve deep into the mysterious Ubehebe Crater, a natural volcanic formation and a popular Death Valley attraction. The myths and legends of Walter Scott, popularly known as "Scotty" are explored with vintage photos and a tour of the fabulous "Castle in the Desert".
- Episode #104 DEATH VALLEY AND BEYOND
- Part one of OUT & About's Death Valley Adventure commences with a personal tour through some of the highlights of this desert paradise. Points of interest include a visit to the Sand Dunes, the Devil's Golf Course, Badwater and a stay at the historic Furnace Creek Inn.
- Episode #103 A QUIET SPIRIT/ A CRUISE TO SANTA CRUZ
- The lifestyle of the Amish People is explored with a colorful display of handmade quilts, contrasted with an authentic photo exhibit, revealing an intimate portrait of Amish life. The OUT & ABOUT crew set sail for the Channel Islands with a stop on Santa Cruz Island for a hike through the pristine coves and rugged hillsides of the protected marine sanctuary.
- Episode #102 DAY OF THE LOTUS/ A NEW BREED OF SURF RIDERS
- L.A.'s annual Lotus Festival is a colorful canvas of Asian culture as a diverse community comes together for an afternoon of food, wondrous floral displays and a lively Dragon Boat Race within the state's largest Lotus pond. The Grom Pro Junior Surfing finals attracts youths from across the country who Hang Ten on their boards in a spectacular display of wave riding skills.
- Episode #101 THE DAWN OF A NEW AGE
- Explore the mystic origins of the modern New Age as OUT & ABOUT visits Giant Rock and the Integratron as part of the Cosmic Awareness, UFO and New Age Expo in Palm Springs.
- Episode #100 A PASSPORT TO PARIS/ IT WAS A VERY GOOD YEAR
- Sample the fine food and revel in the spirit of French culture as OUT & ABOUT celebrates Bastille Day with can-can dancers and a french poodle parade. And OUT & ABOUT celebrates its 5th year with a peek back at the highlights of the past season.
- Episode #99 ALL SPORTS FESTIVAL/ GRAVITY MADNESS
- Extreme sports like rock climbing, scuba diving and in-line skating are some of the offerings at a popular sports show at the LA Convention Center. Downhill racing offers breathless thrills with the competitive spirit of gravity cars and street luge riders.
- Episode #98 A MEDICINE FOR THE PEOPLE/ STARCON 96
- The spirit of indian culture is kept alive by a colorful Powwow in British Columbia Canada bringing together members of the First Nation Tribes. The sci-fi film genre explodes onto the Pasadena Center, attracting fans of Star Wars, Planet of the Apes and other science fantasy.
- Episode #97 ON THE TRAIL OF THE SASQUATCH
- Join the crew of OUT & ABOUT as they travel north to British Columbia Canada for the annual Sasquatch Daze festivities, as well as a serious treatment of the global Bigfoot Phenomenon.
- Episode #96 MYSTERY OF THE WISTARIA/ AMERICAN GIANTS
- The world's largest wistaria vine is displayed in full bloom during Sierra Madre's yearly festival. And true American heroes are profiled during an afternoon devoted to firefighters, rescue pilots and paramedics.
- Episode #95 MASTERS OF THE FLYING DISC/THE VETTE SET
- Flying disc and frisbee artists dazzle the crowd at a championship tourney showcasing their high-flying wizardry. America's first sportscar the Corvette rolls out of the Petersen Auto Museum for an afternoon of automotive nostalgia.
- Episode #94 MARBLES ARE FOREVER/ A DOLL'S LIFE
- Collectible marbles are the subject of an afternoon devoted to marble enthusiasts. Fans of Antique Dolls display their precious collections made from porcelain, bisque and a host of other materials.
- Episode #93 TIME & TIDEPOOLS/ BLUE SKIES, PACIFIC GRAYS
- The southern California coast is highlighted with a visit to a local tidepool, revealing sea stars, other sea creatures. Pacific Gray whales are the subject of the day as the OUT & ABOUT crew embarks on an afternoon of whalewatching.
- Episode #92 AMERICA'S SMITHSONIAN
- Los Angeles is the first stop of this fabulous touring collection as the Smithsonian Institute kicks off a twelve city tour of the nation's treasures. This episode earned Out & About the 1996 WAVE Award for the best documentary covering a community event.
- Episode #91 GARDENS OF OUR WORLD/ SONG OF THE GIBBONS
- The Los Angeles Arboretum celebrates its annual Garden show with a tribute to some unique garden designs. The Center for Gibbon Studies offers viewers a glimpse of one of man's closest living relatives who serenade visitors with their haunting melodies.
- Episode #90 SACRED ARTS OF HAITIAN VODOU/ WIGFEST
- The art & music of Haiti is profiled in a colorful and musical tribute to the origins of Voodoo. Wigfest is wild celebration as men let their hair down by donning wigs to help raise money for Project Angel Food, a non-profit organization which provides food to home-bound AIDS patients.
- Episode #89 A SEA OF TALLSHIPS
- The Out & About crew experience the excitement of the high seas as Dana Point celebrates the history of Tallships in America with an afternoon of Sailors, buccaneers and maritime history.
- Episode #88 RUN FOR THE WILD/ JET PROPULSION LABORATORY
- Harley Davidson motorcycle riders make their annual Run for the Wild en route to the Wildlife Waystation to help raise money for its animal residents. The wonders of space exploration unfold at JPL's annual open house as visitors glimpse upcoming projects like Galileo and Mars Pathfinder, showcasing man's expanding knowledge of the Universe.
- Episode #87 MONO LAKE/ FIDDLING AROUND
- Mysterious Mono Lake is the setting for a fascinating exploration of an extensive, yet fragile ecosystem. The toe-tapping rhythms of the musical fiddle weave throughout the Paramount Ranch at the annual Topanga Banjo and Fiddle contest.
- Episode #86 MULE DAYS
- OUT & ABOUT kicks ass in its 5th season opener with a tribute to Mules and a visit to Mule Days, a lively celebration including a mule rodeo, racing events, and an exciting mule-packing event featuring hundreds of mules.
- Episode #85 A PILGRIMAGE TO MANZANAR/ WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES
- Japanese internment during World War II is revisited on the 50th anniversary of the closing of Manzanar with a poignant ceremony attended by many of the camp's survivors. The closing of OUT & ABOUT's fourth season is commemorated with a look back at the past year's highlights.
- Episode #84 EVERYTHING IS COMING UP POPPIES/ WILD ABOUT ORCHIDS
- The Lancaster Poppy Festival is revisited with a spectacular helicopter ride over a rich orange carpet of California Poppies. The beauty and sensuality of orchids is in full bloom at a colorful display in Santa Barbara.
- Episode #83 EXOTIC FELINE BREEDING COMPOUND/ THE GREAT SEALS OF SAN PEDRO
- Jaguars, cheetahs and mountain lions are just some of the feline residents which are housed at the non-profit facility in Rosamond, California. The Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro offers refuge to injured and abandoned seals and sea lions by nursing them back to health before their release into the sea.
- Episode #82 SEDONA & THE ARIZONA MYSTIQUE/GRAND CANYON CAVERNS
- The last leg of the Arizona trilogy concludes with a visit to breathtaking Sedona, highlighting the rich red-brown mesas and mysterious vortexes. The OUT & ABOUT crew ventures deep beneath the ground to explore one of the world's largest dry caves at the Grand Canyon Caverns.
- Episode #81 THE BELLS OF COSANTI/ ARCOSANTI AND THE URBAN ARCHITECTS OF TOMORROW
- The fabulous bronze creations of Paolo Saleri are realized at Cosanti home of the foundry where bells are poured and finished to musical perfection. Saleri's visionary Arcosanti is an urban oasis of natural architecture, comfortably nestled within the rocky surroundings, and home to many artists & students.
- Episode #80 BIOSPHERE 2: WINDOW TO THE WORLD
- The revolutionary and controversial Biosphere 2 is explored with a fascinating tour inside the enormous structure, highlighting the fragile ecosystem inside its sealed glass, which parallels our own biosphere I, the earth itself. The first show in a three episode exploration of Arizona.
- Episode #79 EN CALAVERA: The Papier Mache Art of the Linares
Family/ ARIZONA, HERE WE COME!
- The wondrous paper mache creations of Mexico's Linares family are displayed in a colorful and lively display at the UCLA Fowler Museum, celebrating the mysterious and macabre world of mexican folk art. A prelude to OUT & ABOUT's incredible Arizona adventure highlights the crew's upcoming exploration of the Grand Canyon state with previews of Biosphere 2, Arcosanti, Cosanti, Sedona and the Grand Canyon Caverns.
- Episode #78 HAPPY HARLEY-DAYS
- Rejoice in the Holiday spirit as the city of Beverly Hills rings in the season with a festive celebration including a collection of hundreds of motorcycles on famous Rodeo Drive, and a colorful Santas on bikes parade down the world renown street.
- Episode #77 ALL-AMERICAN PET OLYMPICS
- Witness the incredible animal antics of a group of talented frisbee-catching canines, and revel in the simple joys of pet ownership as dogs, cats, birds, and even reptiles compete for gold medals and attention at this colorful celebration.
- Episode #76 CHOWDER POWER/ BOND AND BEYOND
- Clams are the main attraction at Pismo Beach's yearly celebration of clam culture, highlighting the area's rich history of clamming, and concluding with a lively clam digging contest! Fans of Ian Flemming's superspy James Bond pay tribute to one of pop culture's most enduring cult heroes with a special gathering in-cluding books, posters, props and memorabilia. Definitely for Bond Fans only!
- Episode #75 MASTERS OF THE OCEAN REALM/ THE BUS STOPS HERE
- The giants of the ocean: whales, dolphins and porpoises are showcased at the Natural History Museum in Burbank with an informative exhibit, including a visit from the Tlingit Indians of the Pacific Northwest. Vintage buses are rolled out at the Pacific Bus Museum, a vast collection celebrating the early days of L.A.'s public transportation systems.
- Episode #74 ULTRA HARLEY:KING OF THE ROAD/ WATCHING THE TRAINS GO BY...
- The world's largest motorcycle, the Ultra Harley is a wondrous creation of leather and chrome, as it hits the road with a bevy of bikini clad babes! The OUT & ABOUT crew travels to the city of Tehachapi, home of the famous Tehachapi Loop, a railroad engineering wonder, and a favorite site for train watchers.
- Episode #73 LOTUSLAND/ LLAMA LAND AND EMU TERRITORY
- Madame Walska's mysterious and haunting Lotusland is one of Santa Barbara's best kept secrets; an estate of untold beauty and a fascinating glimpse into the life of the reclusive Polish opera singer. Exotic animals are profiled at a unique ranch in Saugus California which caters to a lively menagerie of Llamas, as well as Emus, the whimsical ostrich-like birds from Australia.
- Episode #72 SOLAR GENERATION
- The bright future of Solar electric power is spot-lighted at the Kramer Junction SEGS plant, as OUT & ABOUT sheds some much needed light on the future of this promising and environmentally friendly energy system.
- Episode #71 THE KING OF HERBS/ MONSTER TRUCK MANIA
- The pungent and aromatic whiff of Garlic fills the air at the annual Garlic festival in Westwood, cele-brating the many virtues of this very versatile herb. Monster Truck mania sweeps the nation as OUT & ABOUT experiences the fun and excitement of these colorful and entertaining car-crunching spectacles.
- Episode #70 BABES IN THE WOODS/ MOORTEN BOTANICAL GARDENS
- The Wildlife Waystation is the site of OUT & ABOUT's exploration of the spring arrival of baby animals including baby possums, coyotes, and Kachina and Cinnamon, a pair of adorable baby bear cubs. The Moorten Botanical Gardens in Palm Springs offers plant lovers the wonders of the desert, painting a rich portrait of exotic plant life.
- Episode #69 PUGS ON PARADE/ THIRD YEAR'S THE CHARM
- One of the nation's best loved toy breeds are honored with some recognition in the form of the Pug Festival, one of the largest gatherings of Pugs in the country. The third season of OUT & ABOUT is honored with a detailed peek back at the highlights of the previous year, including footage from the two earthquake specials.
- Episode #68 UNION STATION: A VISION TO SEE/ EARTHQUAKE PREPAREDNESS FAIR '94
- A jewel in the crown of downtown L.A., Union Station is a site of unparalled beauty as OUT & ABOUT tours the historic station, the tracks, and the famous Fred Harvey Restaurant, a famed eating institution from the early part of the century. Disaster preparedness is the main focus of a gathering near the L.A. Zoo high-lighting the various rescue systems employed during and after the big quake of '94.
- Episode #67 IN THE VALLEY OF LUXOR/ THE LAST RUNWAY
- The fabulous Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas is an eye-opening wonder of engineering genius, a mixture of past, present and future which emulates the spirit and mystery of ancient Egypt. The Mojave Airport is the last resting place for hundreds of commercial and passenger jets which defy the desert surroundings, evoking the desolation of a lonely graveyard.
- Episode #66 CHINATOWN & OLVERA STREET
- New life is breathed into the downtown Los Angeles area with a colorful and informative tour that begins at the Union Station and weaves its way through historic Olvera Street. The tour continues its way down to Chinatown for a visit to a Chinese temple, the famous wishing well and a few local businesses which have helped to revitalize this important cultural area.
- Episode #65 THE BIGGEST LITTLE RADIO STATION IN THE WORLD
- Out & About profiles radio station KBET in Santa Clarita with an enlightening lesson on how a small market radio station works. Interviews with on-air personalities, a visit to the broadcast tower and a tour of the station itself highlight the many facets of broadcast journalism in today's media hungry world.
- Episode #64 RAPTOR REHAB/ THE SPIRIT OF CALIFORNIA
- Before they became a catchword for the dinosaurs of Hollywood movies, Raptors have always been regarded as the rulers of the sky: owls, hawks and other birds of prey, and O&A's visit to Raptor Rehab emphasizes the importance of protecting these magnificent birds. The B-2 Stealth bomber, "The Spirit of California" touches down in Palmdale for a close up view of the military's once secret project, highlighted by some spectacular flying footage.
- Episode #63 THE MAGIC OF MUSHROOMS/ THE GREAT PACIFIC OCTOPUS
- Mushrooms are on the menu at the Los Angeles Arboretum as OUT & ABOUT serves up some tantalizing tidbits of information on the history as well as uses of mushrooms; a fascinating study of the "fungus among us". Octavia, the great Pacific Octopus who survived for two months in captivity at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium enchants visitors on her opening day; a poignant lesson on preservation and animal captivity.
- Episode #62 UFOS: TARGET EARTH
- The Santa Monica Museum of Flying is the launching pad for a foray into the realm of UFOs and the possible existence of extraterrestrial life. A visit with the producer of the film "Roswell" as well as a discussion of the events surrounding this mysterious case caps off an enlightening and thought-provoking half hour.
- Episode #61 WORDS TO LIVE BY/ ANTIQUES & COLLECTABLES
- The Antiquarian Book Fair offers lovers of classic literature a chance to exchange words as well as rare books at one of the largest gathering of book fanciers in the country. Antique collectors dust off their rare gems at the Pasadena Center for an afternoon of collectible furniture, porcelein, dolls and artistic treasures.
- Episode #60 NATIVE CULTURES OF THE SOUTHWEST/ LIQUID VISION
- O&A's visit to the Southwest Museum in Pasadena offers a fascinating portrait of Native Americans, highlighting their art works of masks, dolls and basketry. The Musuem of Science and Industry's Liquid Vision exhibit offered an illuminating look at Lasers, Holograms and Virtual Reality, instructing children and adults on these new technologies in a friendly and interesting way.
- Episode #59 WATTLES PARK/ OUT IN A BOAT WITH ROGER MARTIN
- Wattles Mansion and Park are a veritable treasure of Hollywood History, nestled within a quiet stretch of property located just north of Hollywood Boulevard. The OUT & ABOUT crew hits the high seas of adventure with an amusing boat ride around Ventura Harbor glimpsing seals, seagulls, an oil platform and other points of interest. Includes interviews with many of the off-camera crew members as well as a rare glimpse of the Producer/Director.
- Episode #58 GOING FOR THE GOLD
- A trip to the American Girl Gold Mine offers an entertaining and informative lesson on the industry of gold mining and extraction. Following the process from locating the veins, to carting the material out through massive tunnels, and culminating in the final refining process, O&A takes viewers through a textbook example of the glittering world of gold refining.
- Episode #57 SNAKE CHARMER/ TRIBAL ART
- A visit to a snake breeder's home offers numerous slippery and slithery creatures as well as a greater understanding and appreciation of snakes. Not for the squeamish. The Tribal Art show in Santa Monica offers a dazzling array of African and Native American art, emphasizing the skill and craftsmanship of some true ethnic treasures.
- Episode #56 THE ART OF ATTACK/ ROYAL TOMBS OF SIPAN
- The Armand Hammer Museum is the site for a biting satirical look at political commentary in the Art World with enlightening interviews with artist/activist Robie Conal as well as the Guerilla Girls, a New York based group of women artists. The UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History brings to Los Angeles the world of the Moche people with a priceless display of their art and artifacts.
- Episode #55 FERRETS ANONYMOUS/ WILD ABOUT ART
- The controvery of Ferret legalization tales center stage as O&A interviews the foremost ferret activist and visits his playful band of fugitive friends for an afternoon of frantic ferret fun! Contemporary art and sculpture with a wildlife theme is unleashed at the Equestrian Center in Burbank, profiling a magnificent assembly of wildlife art treasures.
- Episode #54 COAST BUSTERS
- The U.S. Coast Guard opens its doors to the OUT & ABOUT crew as the daily routines of the Coast Guard are revealed. Includes captivating interviews with rescue personel, a glimpse of search and rescue equipment and an actual fly-over mission in a Dolphin Helicopter.
- Episode #53 MADONNA EXPO(SED)/ HARVEST FESTIVAL
- Fans of the pop superstar "live to tell" of the fabulous Madonna Expo on the Sunset Strip, complete with look-a-like performances and a room full of Madonna memorabilia. The coming of Autumn signals the welcome of the Harvest Festival, a traveling expo of crafts including weaving and wood carving; honoring times and traditions long forgotten, but fondly rembered.
- Episode #52 GRAND CENTRAL MARKET/ THE BRADBURY BUILDING: THE FIRST 100 YEARS
- Two of L.A.'s most coveted treasures are situated adjacent to each other in the heart of Downtown. Grand Central Market is a mecca of exotic foods and fine dining, attracting a varied array of cultures and culinary delights. Arguably LA's most priceless piece of real estate, the Bradbury Building stands proud as a national treasure of architectural history and a cornerstone in the newly revitalized downtown phenomenon.
- Episode #51 OUT TO SEA ON THE S.S. LANE VICTORY
- The last surviving Merchant Marine Vessel of its kind, the LANE VICTORY departs the San Pedro Harbor for an afternoon sail into history, including spectacular views of Catalina Island, a mock Nazi spy capture and an exciting recreation of a World War II aerial dogfight.
- Episode #50 NIGHTFLYERS OF TUMCO/ A CELEBRATION OF HEROES
- World renown Bat Biologist Pat Brown takes the crew of OUT & ABOUT through abandoned mine shafts in Arizona, sheding light on the fascinating moonlit realm of the California Leaf-nosed Bat. A gathering at the Santa Monica Museum of Flying honors the men and women of air and sea rescue with demonstrations of standard rescue procedures as well as glimpses of Firefighting helicopters and Coast Guard Dolphin helicopters.
- Episode #49 THE ROAD TO ZZYZX/ ONE HELLUVA DAM
- An amusing tour through the Mojave Desert including a stop at the Calico Ghost Town, the 20 Mule team Museum, and the ensuing quest for the mystical town of ZZYZX make this whimsical journey a favorite of the O&A producer. The title tells all as a trip to Hoover Dam reveals the magnificent power and spectacle which has attracted so many visitors to this man-made wonder.
- Episode #48 POT-BELLIED PIG-NIC/ NOSTALGIA DRAG RACING
- O&A begins its third season with a playful piggy picnic, complete with a generous assortment of porcine personalities who compete in a rip-snorting watermelon contest. Not for bacon lovers. The popular sport of nostalgia drag racing tears up the track in Palmdale with a high speed afternoon of full throttle racing.
- Episode #47 A SALUTE TO FORT MACARTHUR/ TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MASSES
- San Pedro's military institution Fort MacArthur opens its doors to the crew of O&A for a tour through the historic grounds as well as a trip to the Battery, site of the famous "disappearing guns" from World War II. The second seaon of OUT & ABOUT is celebrated with a glimpse at some of our highlights, capping off a prolific year of adventures!
- Episode #46 PIGS, PUPPIES, PYTHONS AND OTHER PETS
- America's Family Pet Show, one of the largest of its kind in the country attracts a varying menagerie of pets for a rollicking afternoon of cats, dogs, pigs, fish and lizards, making it a pet lover's delight!
- Episode #45 GARDEN VARIETIES/ LANCASTER POPPY FESTIVAL
- Floral beauties are represented with a pair of segments beginning with the Garden Show in Palmdale, a colorful assortment of floral designs and garden ideas made especially for today's homeowners. The annual display of California Poppies is on everyone's mind at the California Poppy Festival, a celebration of the state's official flower which includes a trip to the colorful poppy fields.
- Episode #44 THE GREAT AMERICAN NEWSPAPER
- Stop the presses for an informative trip to the offices and printing plant of the Los Angeles Times Newspaper. An informative, well-spent half hour detailing every aspect of the world of newspaper journalism from story idea to final printing and delivery.
- Episode #43 HOME SHOW/ A GEM OF A JEWELRY SHOW
- The LA Convention center is home to the annual Home Show, an assemblage of contemporary and traditional ideas with designs on happy home living! The annual Gem and Jewelry show in Santa Monica includes a priceless array of fabulous stones, topped off with a display of fabulous "Jewels of the Stars".
- Episode #42 DISCRIMINATING ART/ MOVIE MAGIC
- An artistic display at Cal State provides a stark backdrop illuminating the racial lines which have divided the mankind throughout history, from the persecution of jews in Nazi Germany, through the LA riots of 1992. Movie magic is displayed at the Museum of Science and Industry with a tribute to the celluloid wizardry of Hollywood special effects artists.
- Episode #41 IRISH FOR A DAY/ AN EGGS-QUISITE COLLECTION
- The warm soothing song of the rolling Irish hills permeates the Orange County Irish Faire in Laguna Beach celebrating Irish tradition with music, swordplay, lively stepdancing and a cutest leprechan contest. Fans of eggs-otic egg decorating scrambled over to Westlake Village to shell out some big bucks to satisfy their eggs-pensive tastes for fabulous faberge and other egg creations.
- Episode #40 ORANGE COUNTY RAILWAY MUSEUM
- The haunting clickety-clack of train tracks fills the air at one of the nation's most respected railroad museums. Join the OUT & ABOUT crew as they hop aboard vintage trains and tour some of the nation's oldest railroad cars.
- Episode #39 YEAR OF THE ROOSTER/ CHELSEA AMERICA FLOWER SHOW
- The Chinese new year saluting the Year of the Rooster is rung in with all of the color and pageantry of the traditional new year celebration complete with firecrackers and a giant golden dragon. One of Britain's most respected floral shows is in full bloom at the old Marineland site for an afternoon of fragrant floral displays.
- Episode #38 TRACKING THE METRO RED LINE/ THE OLD HOLLYWOOD SUBWAY
- The grand opening of LA's Metro Red Line is a great excuse for the OUT & ABOUT crew to ride the trains for free and talk to some local color about the city's newest light rail system. A complete history of Hollywood's first subway and an actual foray into the tunnels deep beneath the city streets highlight this fascinating profile of early L.A. transportation earning OUT & ABOUT its first WAVE
- Episode #37 DINOSAURS, ETC. / DINOSAURS 'R' US
- The great thunder lizards roar once again in this special tribute to dinosaurs beginning wth the Museum of Science and Industry's special animatronic dino display, and concluding with an exclusive tour at the manufacturing company, Kokoro for a look at how new evidence from fossils have played a part in mankind's new understanding of these captivating creatures.
- Episode #36 ARTISTIC FREEDOM FIGHTER/ THE GREATER LA CAR SHOW
- Guerilla artist Robbie Conal is profiled along with several of his famous political artworks which have been popping up at local construction sites for years. The LA Convention center is the site for one of the largest displays in the country of new car models and styles, including solar, natural gas powered and electric designs.
- Episode #35 LEONIS ADOBE/ LEAPIN' LIZARDS
- Standing in the heart of Calabasas lies the Leonis Adobe, LA Historic Cultural Monument Number One and a rich trove of historic significance. Also includes a tour of the Plummer House located nearby. A band of slithering serpents and horned lizards are just a few of the guests at the Annual Lakeview Terrace Lizard-lovers show, catering to turtles, toads and a baby alligator.
- Episode #34 SCARECROW ALLEY/ PUMPKIN FEST
- The Lombardi Ranch's seasonal offering features handmade scarecrows in an actual cornfield; a horrific as well as hysterical display and the perfect Halloween Haunt. The coming of autumn is celebrated in Calabasa (meaning Pumpkin) at the annual Pumpkin Days celebration featuring the festival, the popular Pumpkin Parade and the lively Great Pumpkin Race, where "few have run before".
- Episode #33 GAMES PEOPLE PLAY/ INVENTION CONVENTION
- Unusual sports like Buka, Foxtail, Snakeboard and Footbag are highlighted at the Alternative Sports Festival, a fast-paced gathering of unusual sports. The Annual Invention Convention in Pasadena is a tribute to today's wacky ideas which may soon become tomorrow's products.
- Episode #32 THE WILDLIFE/ MUSCLE BOUND
- The untamed world of wild animals is brought ferociously forward with a tour of the Wildlife Waystation, including glimpses of bears, lions, tigers and mountain lions; the first of several visits to the non-profit facility in Tujunga. Muscle Beach is the ideal site to glimpse the perfect bodies at the annual muscle contest, a bevy of picture-perfect men and women who strut their stuff in front of an enthusiastic crowd of body worshipers.
- Episode #31 UFOs, THE SECRET GOVERNMENT AND OTHER CONSPIRACIES
- The subjects of UFOs, the New World Order, and the Government's continued intrusion into personal lives are the main topics of discussion at the Civilian Intelligence Network's popular Cover up Convention, a scathing indictment of the current political system, and easily O&A's most popular episode.
- Episode #30 OCEAN IN MOTION/ LIFE IN THE SLOW LANE
- The Orange County Marine Institute is the backdrop of an afternoon of maritime history and information, including a tour of an authentic reproduction of the tallship PILGRIM made famous by Willian Henry Dana, author of "Two Years Before the Mast". The slow-paced world of the turtle brings up the rear at a popular gathering at Lakeview Terrace rendering tortoise lovers absolutely "shell-shocked".
- Episode #29 COMIC CAPERS/ SOME LIKE IT MARILYN
- Comic book fans from across the southland converge at a popular Comic Convention as colorful pages of history bring back fond memories of simpler times. Hollywood icon Marilyn Monroe is celebrated on her birthday with an entertaining look-a-like contest as well as an exhibit highlighting her
- Episode #28 NUTS ABOUT SQUIRRELS/ MAN'S PEST FRIENDS
- A little old lady in Pasadena provides refuge for a family of injured and recovering squirrels, providing warmth and comfort while nursing them back to health. The awesome world of insects have visitors absolutely bug-eyed at the Arboretum's annual insect fair, a creation of the Ralph M. Parsons Insect Museum, and a valuable lesson on the importance of nature's most underappreciated creatures.
- Episode #27 BOULEVARD OF DREAMS/ THE MYSTERY OF BIGFOOT
- The fabulous Sunset Strip is a mecca of Hollywood history, and O&A's walking tour stops at all the popular hangouts including the Laugh Factory, the Bullwinkle Statue and the site of the original Schwabb's Pharmacy. The mystery of the Sasquatch is explored during a compelling interview with a well-known Bigfoot enthusiast, shedding light on this mysterious phenomenon.
- Episode #26 THE RAZZIES/ ONE ONE-HUNDREDTH OF A CENTURY
- The popular Razzie Awards are given out to the year's worst films at a sarcastic gathering at the Hollywood Roosevelt proving that even great actors aren't exempt from bad movies. O&A's best moments from the first season are relived in a memorable tribute to the past season.
- Episode #25 COSMIC CONNECTIONS/ HIGH ON KITES
- Cosmic and New Age gathering in San Diego sets the mood for this exploration of UFOs and what the government may or may not know about the future of their arrival. The sport of kite flying soars at the beach in Santa Monica as kite enthusiasts let fly their colorful airborne creations in a high-flying tribute to aerial acrobatics.
- Episode #24 MAKING WAVES/ ROUGH RIDERS
- Boat enthusiasts ride a wake to the Anaheim Convention Center's yearly Boating Expo, a showcase of the very latest colors and styles to grace the high seas. Traditional rodeo skills lock horns with the unconventional yet lively spirit of the Golden State Gay Rodeo Association's rollicking display of roping, riding and simple horsemanship.
- Episode #23 INDIO DATE FESTIVAL/ ECO EXPO
- Make it a date for the popular Indio Date festival, an Arabian Nights-type celebration featuring camel races, ostrich races and the ever popular Date Queen. Recycling and other environmentally friendly techniques go hand in hand at the Eco Expo, the yearly gathering of solar cars, recyclable clothing and home compost heaps.
- Episode #22 NATURAL HEALTH/ REMEMBER MY NAME
- Unconventional healing techniques and other holistic methods are explored at the Natural Health Convention in Pasadena; Chiropractors, Pyramid hats and "Gypsy Boots"; who could ask for anything more? The AIDS memorial Quilt unfolds in Palm Desert for a heart-wrenching display of love and loss, and hope amid despair; a poignant and moving story that is certain to bring a tear to your eyes.
- Episode #21 CATHERINE THE GREAT/ THE GREAT OUTDOORS
- The Armand Hammer Museum's tribute to the famed Russian Queen is a smashing blend of art and culture amid the dramatic backdrop of turbulent Russian history, topped off by a spectacular display of Catherine's grand carriage. The Anaheim Convention Center provides ample acreage for the RV and Outdoors Show, highlighting the latest outdoors equipment and recreational vehicles.
- Episode #20 INDIAN POWWOW/ AREA 51
- The music and dance of Native Americans, as well as their arts and crafts are showcased at a popular gathering at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Before it fell into the nation's vocabulary, Area 51 was a top-secret military institution, and O&A visited when it was still relatively secret. Although we only got within a few miles of the base, we experienced quite a series of adventures until the cops threw us out.
- Episode #19 DESERT FLIGHT
- Out & About takes to the wild blue yonder aboard a hot air balloon for an afternoon of high altitude hijinks. Some low level encounters, as well as an interview with the pilot are just a few of the highlights of an "uplifting" episode.
- Episode #18 TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA BREA/ MODEL ENGINEERS
- The La Brea Tar Pits of Los Angeles are more than a mere tourist attraction; they are a rich source of prehistoric fossils which paint a fascinating picture of L.A. life long before the freeways. Train enthusiasts make tracks for the Fairplex in Pomonoa for the yearly model railroading shows celebrating the engineering feats of miniature railway fans.
- Episode #17 KEEP ON TREKKIN'/ UFO REPORT
- Star Trek fans and fanatics converge at the airport Hilton to display their passion for the series which has created a whole new way of life for so many impressionable fans. The first of several subsequent explorations of UFOs and extraterrestrials finds O&A interviewing Ufologist Sean Morton to learn a bit about Area 51 and its mysterious secrets.
- Episode #16 L.A.'s FINEST/ UP, UP & AWAY
- The annual Police Academy recruitment drive finds the O&A crew in an arresting position wandering about the grounds of the LA Police Academy with glimpses of the target shooting range, the peaceful "rock garden" and the obstacle course. The Empire Balloon and Polo Festival offers an afternoon of "champagne and propane" as dozens of hot air balloons are inflated on a giant polo field and subsequently lift off into the heavens.
- Episode #15 A BLIMP'S EYE VIEW/ PUMPKIN PATCH
- The world-famous Goodyear Blimp takes the O&A crew along for a ride offering breathtaking glimpses of LA from a comfortable cruising altitude. The coming of Fall is acknowledged as Cal Poly in Pomona opens its popular pumpkin patch to the public, celebrating the time-worn spirit of the autumn harvest.
- Episode #14 THE LIVING DESERT/ MYSTERIES OF THE DEEP
- The Living desert in Palm Springs is a mecca for desert flora and fauna, home to coyotes, hawks, mountain lions and tortioses as well as numerous species of plantlife. The Cabrillo Marine Aquarium opens our eyes to the mystery and beauty of the deep, showcasing the rich marine life which thrives off the Pacific Coast.
- Episode #13 HAUNTED HOLLYWOOD/ HOUSE OF HORROR
- OUT & ABOUT's special Halloween show highlights the famous ghost tales of old Hollywood, including visits to the former Ciro's Nightclub as well as a stop at the ruins of the Houdini Mansion. Famed horrormeister Forrest J. Ackerman is interviewed at the "Ackermansion" a treaure trove of horror and science fiction memorabilia spanning several generations.
- Episode #12 LIVING FREE/ THE UMBRELLAS OF CHRISTO PART II
- The animal sanctuary in Mountain Center "Living Free" cares for dogs and cats of owners who pass away or cannot keep their pets any longer. A special tour of the facility as well as an interview with animal activist Rue McLanahan. The umbrellas Project opens and artist Christo handles it with the flair of a master showman bringing his vision to a sprawling and colorful reality.
- Episode #11 CIVIL WAR AND REMEMBRANCE/ THE UMBRELLAS OF CHRISTO
- Thrilling battle encounters, a makeshift hospital and authentic costumes highlight the Civil War reenactments at Fort Tejon. An exclusive interview with artist Christo focuses on his upcoming Umbrellas Project and its impact on the art world.
- Episode #10 CLASSY CHASSIS/ CASTLES IN THE SAND
- The Beverly Hills Car Show is a classic collection of new and vintage autos, celebrating the spirit of L.A.'s automobile culture. A sandcastle competion at the beach provides a leisuerly afternoon of sand, surf and sun, and an appreciation for architectural design and incredible patience.
- Episode #9 HORSING AROUND/ HOLLYWOOD ON FOOT
- Horse enthusiasts trot on over to the Fairplex in Pomono for an afternoon of reining and riding, including an interview with horseman William Shatner. The popular walking tours of Hollywood Heritage are exemplified by the Hollywood Boulevard tour including stops at Jane's House, Capitol Records and world-famous Mann's Chinese Theatre.
- Episode #8 HAMMING IT UP/ THE PLAY'S THE THING
- Pot-bellied pigs make their debut in what was the first of many subsequent porcine encounters as O&A sets the standard for pot bellied pig shows with this spirited visit to a group of pigs in Agua Dulce. The Globe theatre in West Hollywood is a showcase of Shakespearean passion, a living tribute to the Bard's plays and a popular playhouse as well.
- Episode #7 MOBILE PHONE FUN/ PRIZED POOCHES
- The incredible popularity of cellular phones are the buzz as O&A connects with a phone expert to learn of how the signals travel and how popular the phenomenon has become. The Kennel Club of Beverly Hills converges upon the LA Sports Arena for a doggone good time as owners and breeders of exotic mixes parade their prized pets to an enthusiastic crowd, proving that every dog has its day!
- Episode #6 AERIAL TRAMWAY/ THE DINOSAURS OF CABAZON/ WINDMILLS OF THE DESERT
- An exciting tour of Palm Springs touches down on the popular Aerial Tramway with a trip to the top and a view of the mountains below. The famous dinosaurs seen from the freeway highlight this exploration of the history of these giant beasts as well as how they were built. Numerous rows of windmills provide a haunting backdrop of mystery and intrigue to casual drivers along the Palm Springs Junction.
- Episode #5 FANCY FELINES/ MONKEY BUSINESS
- The Cat Fanciers Association's annual show is a cat-lover's heaven, showcasing numerous breeds in a competitive, yet friendly atmosphere of frantic frollicking felines. A trip to the LA Zoo provides interesting glimpses of orangutans, Chimps, giraffes and camels.
- Episode #4 MISSION OF HOPE
- The Los Angeles Mission opens its doors to the crew of OUT & ABOUT, as well as to anyone in need of clothing, food or shelter, offering hope to the homeless. Interviews with the program directors as well as a visit to the site of the new mission while it was still under construction make this a poignant tale of losing hope, yet regaining faith.
- Episode #3 WHALEWATCH/ HOLLYWOOD ART/ ANIMAL FUN
- One of O&A's first adventures takes us to the high seas as we spot Californa Gray Whales as they make their yearly migration to the warm Baja waters. A glimpse of some interesting art highlights a tour of some local murals in Hollywood. A visit to the LA Zoo provides fun for a group of Seals, Meerkats, gorillas and a pair of rhinos.
- Episode #2 RENAISSANCE PLEASURE FAIRE
- The popular fair in Devore California is an impressive and entertaining canvas of Elizabethan entertainment. OUT & ABOUT touches down on the sweet music, the entertainers, the giant communal swing and the popular jousting matches which have become synonymous with this yearly institution.
- Episode #1 L.A. FROM ABOVE/ OUR HISTORIC SIGN
- The premiere episode finds Roger soaring in a helicopter above Hollywood and Beverly Hills for a bird's eye view of the L.A. basin. The world famous Hollywood sign is given the star's treatment as O&A profiles the past, present and future of the city's most recognizable landmark.